Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2019

dogs and jobs

SOURCE
I was at the university earlier today.  As I was leaving, some people were setting up an area for "Pause for Paws" in the library.  Some dogs were on the way to help students relieve some stress of finals.

I was tempted to hang around as the dogs would be arriving in about 20 minutes.  But then I thought, nah, leave it to the stressed students.

I don't think there was any such thing WAY back when I was an undergrad, but now I see this sort of thing at many colleges and universities.

Oh well, we have our own home therapy.

I took Merlin in to meet our vet for the first time this week.  He had some redness and discharge in his left eye.  I'm guessing he got something in it while having puppy time with Penny.  The good doctor gave us some eye ointment, and it quickly did the trick.


April 12
May 6


















Other than that, he got a clean bill of health.  He's put on a good 10 pounds since we got him about 3 weeks prior when he was a bag o' bones at 35 pounds.   I'd say he's still got a good 5 to 10 pounds more to go to be at ideal weight for his frame.

In the meantime, today is another dreary snowy day.  I was going stir crazy at home, so it was good to get out, even if I didn't pause for paws.  I would fail as a hermit.

Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?

I'm on the cusp, leaning more toward the extrovert side.  Every time I've taken the Myers-Briggs test - the first time was in college for a psychology class, in the days before dogs came for finals week - I've resulted with ENTJ.  "E" for extrovert, but not heavily so.

I won't list traits, strengths and weaknesses  for ENTJs here - because I'm just efficient that way *ahem*, but I tend to agree with the general overview.

As far as jobs I should avoid, these top the list:

receptionist, home health aide, child care provider, craft artist, data entry clerk, restaurant host, and food preparation worker.

Of these, I've been gainfully employed as three.  Oops!  Well, they were all stepping-stone jobs.  I found it rather humorous that "Priesthood" is listed as about the worst career for me, but thinking about it... yeah, no.

What is your Myers-Briggs type?  Does it match nicely with your profession?




10 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

I would consider myself an introvert, which means I’m probably in the wrong business. But when I think about a boring desk job, it makes me shiver. Gimme some people who I can have short conversations with, and then send along their way,
Merlin looks so healthy and happy! Glad his eye is getting better already.
And yeah, no Pause for Paws when I was in school. How did I ever make it through?

Abby said...

SR300, well there are 3 other letters, so I'm guessing you've got the right combination considering how much you enjoy your job and how good you are at it. Boring desk jobs scare me too!
How did we get through college without dogs to pet, and just studying and stuff??

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yeah to Merlin gaining weight! Such a pretty coat. Looks like a real sweet dog too.
I took the Meyers Brigg test twice. Once for work and yes at that time it did indeed match my job or I should say one area of my job. I thought it was ENTJ but I could be wrong. I know it was emotion based and extrovert.
I wonder if I did it today if it would be the same. I am an extrovert but I love sitting back away from people to just observe. So that is not an extrovert....so there's that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hey, I was an ENFJ - so not the same. I just found my old paperwork. I should try it again and see if there is a type for an old curmudgeon. :-)

Chatty Crone said...

Your pup looks good!

I am an ISFJ.

Abby said...

Peggy, I prefer observing people too. I think extroverts aren't necessarily overly gabby, but just enjoy being with (some) people. I think your ESFJ-ness comes out in your blog!

Chatty, Merlin is doing really well!
Never met an ISFJ I didn't like :)

Brian said...

Just love Merlins coat. So different!

I came out an ISTJ-A which actually seems to suit/describe me just fine. Put me in a lab with a problem to work out and I am happy as a clam, provided I get released on weekends for recharging.

Abby said...

Brian, sounds like you're in a good place, professionally!
I did a workshop once where we were separated into groups, one letter at a time. The differences between N's and S's were so striking, it was hilarious!
Merlin's coat is one thing that drew us to him instantly, but he's a great pooch on the inside too.

Linda Hensley said...

INTJ. I like people, but I want to go home and get away from them after a while too. This test annoyed me because while I was initially pleased to be in the smallest group it started to feel lonely. I took the test again with all my alternate answers and it came out the same. Took it years later and all I managed was to get my J more into the center of the scale. I hate being pigeon holed with Eleanor Roosevelt and Ghandi. They weren't happy people! At least I don't have snow. Wishing you a spring!

Abby said...

Linda, my husband and oldest son are INTJ. I'd say you're good company :)