Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

drug bust

I was having a weird dream just before the alarm woke me this morning.  I've mentioned how we've been decluttering (in real life, not the dream... yet).  In my dream, I went into one of the rooms in our house and realized I hadn't been in there in a while.

Omigosh, it was full o' stuff!  Boxes and bags, old furniture from my parent's house, random small appliances...  And the old furniture from my parent's house - with drawers, shelves, and cabinets - was filled with more stuff!

Most all of the items in the furniture, boxes, and bags were either things that belonged to my parents, who are both deceased, or things that belonged to my kids when they were little.  Like very little.  Toddlers.

What does it mean?  Whatever, I was glad to wake up.

Speaking of getting rid of stuff, I tossed a buncha drugs yesterday.

To set me up for that recent dental procedure, the Dr. gave me some prescriptions to fill.  One was a mouth rinse, the others were all pain relievers.  I'm a lightweight and have a low tolerance for drugs, and I'm unfamiliar with the different names and uses.

I went to the pharmacy and filled all the prescriptions like a clueless dutiful little patient, figuring I'd google them when I got home.

One of the prescriptions was for the opioid, Vicodin.  What?  I thought there's an opioid crisis, why am I buying opioids??  Then it made me think, "sh*t, how much is this gonna hurt?!"

Still, I was determined not to dip into the Vicodin or the other stuff.  But since I'd already purchased it, I then thought, "Hmm... wonder what I could get for this..."  JUST KIDDING!

I knew I wanted to get rid of it, and the pharmacist actually gave me a packet to get rid of unused drugs:  Dispose Rx.  Toldya, I am not well versed in drugs, so this may be old news to some.

The stuff worked just as described.  It was like a flashback to middle school science class.

Turned my Vicodin to mush

I'm also happy to say I never once felt a need for such heavy narcotics.  My left cheek and gums are a bit chipmunky and bruised, but look worse than they feel. I'm happily, puffily, drug free.







So it seems I can't blame weird dreams on drugs.

7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I never knew you could do that to left over drugs.
I know they should NEVER be flushed or put into our water system.
I can't do Vicodin. Once I was given them after surgery and I got a rash from the top of my head to my feet. It was worse than the surgery pain. I don't do pharmaceuticals all that well. I'd rather deal with it.
If you had really really bad pain they sell things in your state that you could use that will help. :-)
Glad you are on the mend!

Annsterw said...

So glad that you did not need all the drugs. That is awesome! I cannot take any narcotics (since i am in recovery) but I have noticed that no matter what I have gone through...Tylenol and aspirin have handled the pain pretty much. Narcotics are WAY over-prescribed in my humble opinion. I hope you de-puff and heal quickly! Hugs Annster's Domain

Abby said...

Peggy, I never knew it either, but I'm glad for it. I'd rather just deal with the pain too, as long as I know things are healing. And you're right about "other" products readily available! I could probably just pop on up to the high school parking lot if needed!

Ann, it does seem like narcotics are way over prescribed. After the surgery, I was told to go home and start popping them - so willy nilly! I'm glad you're in recovery and that OTC help when needed. "De-puff", ha!

Chatty Crone said...

You did good without medicine. Your cheek looked a little swollen - are you okay now? And I have never seen a anything break up drugs like that. I wonder if a real addict could recycle that?

Abby said...

Chatty, my cheek is still swollen - took that pic just a couple hours ago - but it feels fine, and the swelling is normal. I wondered the same thing about the drug mush. What would happen if someone tried to eat/ snort/ smoke it? The directions on the packet said to just throw it out with the regular trash.

Morgan Cartwright said...

How are you feeling now? I'm not big on painkillers either. I've never had vicodin. Which is good, because like you, I wouldn't have taken it. I noticed last time I was at Walgreens that they had a big bin for disposal of unwanted meds.

Abby said...

Morgan, good to know Walgreens has a means to get rid of unused drugs. That DisposeRx stuff was really convenient. I'm not quite 100% yet, but getting there, drug free :)