Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

almost empty

I vaguely recall that, several years ago, I posted about our prepper efforts.  "Preppers", those strange people that are at the ready for an apocalypse? 

Well, okay, we've not been quite that extreme, but we did live in Utah for about 4 years, and while I can't buy into the religion (after death, I become Mrs. God??), there are some appealing aspects to the Mormon Ways...

One of which is being prepared for emergencies, natural disasters and the like.  Where would you rather be?  Home with the family, comfortably living off your provisions or standing in a long FEMA line, hoping for a bottle of water?

Especially with three little kids, this was something into which we put some thought and effort.  For that particular blog post, I snapped a pic of our food storage.

Fast forward to today - the nest is pretty empty, Magnum and I are looking to downsize, it's no news that I've been tidying, discarding, organizing, and generally removing our lives from the lower level of our house.  I'm not going to search through the archives for that food storage pic, but I can show what the former stash room looks like today.  Voila'


Yeah, a whole lotta  not much.  Note that there were two more of the large utility shelves - one is sitting empty in the hallway, and the other, I disassembled and Chaco took it for his use last weekend.  

And really, the main reason that one on the end still has stuff in it is because the cat likes to go up there to hang out near the heater vent sometimes, and I was afraid that, if the shelves were empty, the whole cat 'n' caboodle would come crashing down when the cat did his graceful climb and totally threw off the center of gravity.  

It's  nice having the room so open and airy.  This was also the room where I'd strung my clothesline and dried the laundry - because we're frugal that way and live in a dry climate.  Now, I'm doing laundry for two and don't need that whole clothesline network.  I've got a nice dryer rack that Wolfgang left laying around gifted me when he moved last spring.  

This isn't to say we have no provisions, I've just made room for that stuff on the main level and transferred while the cat gave me dirty looks.   Thought I'd mention that in case some zombie apocalypse was out there waiting for me to jinx ourselves.

Anyone  need some utility shelves?  



6 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Gee thanks but we too are looking to downsize and I have been clearing things out. We have a neighborhood garage sale in spring and I might get rid of a lot of the things I am not using there. A big steamer that I used to use all the time. A Pilates machine that is great to hang clothes on. I have an ice cream maker by Cuisinart only used once and makes damn fine ice cream. I have a lot of that kind of thing. I just want it all gone! I do not wish to keep them and need your shelf. Sorry Abby. :-)

Chatty Crone said...

I want to downsize too - I keep getting rid of things and the family keeps bringing things in!!
You know I thought about setting up food - but you know the other side of it is - if no one else did it - we would be alone in the world - how long would you have to wait to use the ground or the animals? Might just be well enough to go home.

Abby said...

Margaret, isn't it funny how these things just kinda show up and never leave?? I'm not a big fan of throwing garage sales, but I'm thinking that next time my garage-saling neighbor has one, I might roll a few things out and set up shop.

Chatty, I know what you mean. We like to be prepared for power outages, wildfire evacs, etc. But if the Big One hits, I'd rather be taken out in the first wave. Those underground bunkers? Pretty sure I'd go nuts after a week or so.

LL Cool Joe said...

I used to buy large bottles of water not realising they have a sell by date, so just ended up throwing them all away. We have nothing, so I'm not sure we'd survive one day.

Abby said...

Joey, you do have some sheep meat nearby...

Annsterw said...

I will be the first in the FEMA line - HA! I have nothing!