Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2019

new camera mount from crap in my house


My tidying continues to pay off.  As I was going through the cagata in various places around the house, I unearthed a short and cheesy tripod.  I don't even know where it came from, and it looked quite old with short, skinny, clangy metal legs that wouldn't stay in position.

Might've been something for a kids' telescope?  Maybe?

Anyhoo, I was about to chuck it when I noticed it did have a decent mount that would work with my (okay, it's really Meego's, but he's not here!) little camcorder.


I started thinking about ways I could rig the mount for doing birds-eye-view videos like those for cooking and crafting - in my case, for drawing because no one wants to see my cooking.

Further in the decluttering haul, I procured a little swing arm desk lamp, and thought, "Ooh, that would be a nice mechanism for birds-eye-view video recording."

Screwing ensued... unscrewing too.

Ta-dah.  I ended up with a new-to-me 360-degree adjustable camera mount.  I hooked in my lovely SRAM / Mariposa water bottle as the perfect counterweight as shown.  The lightbulb housing is still dangling there, along with the power cord.  I'll discard those soon enough.




I did a quick zendoodle test, and all was fine, except the video is upside down.  Not a problem, I can just rotate it.  Well, I don't currently have any video editing software, so I would just rotate it in youtube.

I've since found out that youtube no longer has the capability to rotate while editing.  I searched help and found, "rotate the video with video editing software before uploading to youtube".

Okay fine.  Ima find me some video editing app, I suppose.

In the meantime, I did a quickie side view test, drawing at 90-degrees, which doesn't really matter with a zendoodle anyways, I suppose.  Not exactly birds-eye-view, but more like vulture-sitting-over-me-waiting-for-the-right-moment-to-kill-view:





Please excuse the accompanying music.  It came from youtube's free library... in keeping with the theme...

-------------------------------

Linking up this week with MamaKat for the prompt:
4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: free





12 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Okay, now I see that you really did grow up around Italians using words like Cagata. :-)
How ingenious of you!
Can you come to my home and make something out of my crap?
The video is awesome. So you are talented and can make a swing arm desk lap for a bird's eye view.
It's funny and brilliant all at the same time Abby!
You're da bomb!!!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Abby,


Indeed clever and oh, my you're quite the artist! My art ability would show a lot of erasing and redos if I were to record myself drawing. lol Good job and keep up decluttering. I admire you for doing that awful job. I've just given up until we're ready to move. We really want to get into a bigger house this year. Keep your fingers and toes crossed, say a few prayers, too. Have a good afternoon!

Abby said...

Margaret, I think I was an adult before I learned that Cagata wasn't an English word :P. I'd heard it so much while growing up, but I did have my suspicions!

Cathy, we're looking to move to a smaller house - so stuff's gotta go!

Chatty Crone said...

Okay - was that you drawing that? You are awesome and by the smart rigging all that up.

Annsterw said...

Well aren't you tricky!?!?!? Great job re-purposing that thingy! HA!

KatBouska said...

YES! That totally works and what a fun video!

Abby said...

Chatty - yes, zendoodling is supposed to be meditative... or maybe it just sounds less time-wasteful than "doodling".

Ann - For once, I'm happy I didn't get rid of some "junk".

Kat - So nice when stuff actually works out the way we want it to!

Morgan Cartwright said...

That is so cool! I love how you repurposed all the things! All the lost treasures to be found!

Linda Hensley said...

That's fun to watch. Good for you for figuring out the repurposing. I have to go doodle some zen now.

Madamdreamweaver said...

Clever bit of repurposing there!

John Holton said...

Love the Sharpie art in the video! And nice going on figuring out a way to use that tripod thing as a camera stand!

LL Cool Joe said...

Oooh get you with your flash gear and videos, you'll be vlogging soon!