Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

is it hot in here?

It seems we're having us a blizzard, and not the good kind from Dairy Queen.  Can't see much past my nose outside.  I'm wondering if the work crew is working on that water main today?  If so, I think they should get extra hazard pay.  Maybe if I feel adventurous/ cabin feverish, I'll walk down the path and check.

Last week, I was at a P.E.O. meeting and it was so hot.  No, we didn't invite strippers, I mean the temperature of the house we were at was hot.  It was probably in the 70s

We keep our thermostat at 63F during the day and 58F at night.  That's quite comfortable for me, but I've learned that most others I know keep their homes much warmer in the winter, so I dress accordingly.  But there I was in a sleeveless top and cardigan (it was still winter after all) wishing I hadn't worn the cardigan.

My friend who wants to move to Alaska, however, keeps her home about the same temperatures as ours.  She had a first world problem recently when her thermostat went on the fritz, and their house temp went up to 70.

So I'm curious, or maybe I'm just bored being stuck inside from the blizzard today.

  • Who controls the thermostat in your home?
  • What is your ideal indoor temperature during daytime?
  • What is your ideal indoor temperature during nighttime?


On a side note, P.E.O. celebrated its sesquic... sasquatch... sexy quential... sesquisent... 150-year anniversary yesterday!  My latest issue of the P.E.O. Record (our magazine) was sitting on the counter and included a celebratory logo.


Magnum said it made him hungry for Carl's Jr.  Hmm, he may have a point...







9 comments:

Annsterw said...

LOL! Great post! Sorry you got the blizzard - it bypassed us in Pittsburgh I am happy to report!! To answer your questions...Since I live alone; I get to control the temp. Until recently I always had heat on 70 and air on 74. My sister mentioned recently that with my flashes I should go lower than 70. I now have it on 68 and not have noticed a difference much.I was contemplating 66 but I don't want my cats to get icicles on their ears...HA!

Brian said...

What was that last storm that came through, Harper or something? Here's a local headline:
Not impressed

We'll see if I remember how to make it clickety. Some engineer, huh?

Bottom line - we got 15 inches of snow from Harper and another 5" or 6" of lake effect snow on the back side. Like the article says - Rochesterians were not impressed.

The thermostat in our humble abode is controlled by somewhat mutual agreement. In the winter, 68 during the day, 63 at night. In the summer it's usually off unless it gets real hot here (above 80 will do it) The spousal unit then likes to set it at 68 again - and hides under a blanket on the couch. I wait till she's not looking and change it to 72. Just having the air de-humidified makes a huge difference. Especially for we tender snowflakes.

Brian said...

Holy crap, it worked! (And I live about 2 miles from the airport, so what ever they say the airport got, that's what was in my driveway)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, we are the same so we agree on the temp in our home. Neither of us likes to be hot. Especially to sleep. But you'd be too warm in our home. It is 66 during the day unless a weekend then it may go to 68 but always 63 to sleep. (and fans are always on) I also live in a 3 floor townhome. The first floor is 63, (kitchen, family room etc) 2nd floor is warmer and 3rd floor is warmer yet. So if you're cold - go upstairs. :-) But that is only during a cold winter. If warmer our nest will change.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm not sure what temperature we have the house at here in the UK but in the States it's usually set to about 68. My partner would prefer 72 but that's too hot for me.

Chatty Crone said...

Winter we keep it around 71 and summer 74. But I don't know if our thermostat is working the same as yours! 63 would be freezing here! lol

Larz said...

It's about 62-65 during the day and 58 at night. I'm allergic to the heat. However, the thermostat at this apartment is wonky and it often doesn't kick in, which isn't the worst. The worst is when it's set to 63 and keeps the furnace on until it's 73. ugh.

Morgan Cartwright said...

My house is normally between 63-65, just cause we like it a little on the cooler side. The kiddos don't care what temp it is. I get comments on how frigid my house must be, but it's comfortable. :)

ShadowRun300 said...

You would totally think our house is too hot. Luckily my hubby and I are on the same page. We both like it warmer while we’re awake, 72-74, but when we head to bed, we drop it about 5 degrees. Nothin’ better than snuggling under covers.