Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2019

E F P T O Z

Most of us have heard the saying, "Be careful what you wish for", right? 

Well, I remember being around middle school age and having friends who wore glasses and thinking, "that would be fun to have glasses". 

Sheesh, what a dweeb.

But alas, I was blessed with wonderful vision.  20/15 when I was in high school.  That's better than 20/20, for those keeping score.  I figured things would stay that way to the grave, but it was college that I started squinting.

One day, it occurred strange to me that I had a hard time seeing the board in class - this was back in the day when professors used CHALK on CHALKBOARDS and overhead projectors used mirrors and TRANSPARENCIES.  I was only sitting a few rows up, and there were people way in the back row that seemed to see everything just fine.  

And so ended the 20/15... and the 20/20 for that matter.  Over the years, I've followed the spectacle fashion trends.  

Big plastic frames to go with my big 80's hair.


The round tortoise shells of the 90's.  Who of the glass wearers DIDN'T have the round tortoise shells?!


What followed in the early 2000's were a series of lenses that seemed to get tinier and tinier.  Why was that a trend?  Sacrifice peripheral vision for fash-on!?




A few years ago, I became a member of Team Bifocal, and this week I got my third pair of glasses of that genre.  I'm looking at them, and they kinda resemble that original pair from the 80's.  

What's old is new, it seems...except for the Old Lady lenses.

------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: new


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boss asked me, "So where do you see yourself in a year?"
I told her I don't have 2020 vision.

Abby said...

Anonymous, if only my eyesight was better, I'd have seen that coming...

Morgan Cartwright said...

I love the timeline of glasses! I've always had good vision, but this past year I've been squinting way too much. I blame all the computer stuff at work. :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby You looked adorable in all frames over the years!
I too had 20/15 until I was 30 the 20/20. (the advent of me in front of a computer)
I only need glasses for the computer and then bifocals.
So I tried progressive - all 3 in one lense. All I did for a week is move my head up and down trying to find where it was I could see. Rick said I looked like a child who has to wear a helmet in the house. I got different glasses after that remark. :-)

Chatty Crone said...

I am near sighted - got glasses in 5th grade. I have thought about getting it corrected - but then I say gnaw. You looked good in all your glasses.

Madamdreamweaver said...

Yep, eyes age and so come the glasses.

Abby said...

Morgan, I blame the print-quality-inspector job I had just before my eyes went south. Except... our whole family is nearsighted except for oldest son Chaco, who probably spends the most amount of time in front of a computer. No fair!

Margaret, HaHa! Actually, I have progressives. hmmm...

Chatty, Lasik has never appealed to me. Sounds worse than a root canal.

B, let's give thanks to old Ben Franklin.

Linda Hensley said...

I blame computers for so many people needing glasses. We just haven't evolved to spending so much time reading lit screens. As for thermostats, it hadn't occurred to me that people would keep their houses as cold or hot as they do. I keep it at 67 during the winter. I don't turn on AC in summer unless it gets really hot.

Annsterw said...

I have been wearing my glasses since middle school. I don't think I ever could see...HA!