Pages

Friday, January 18, 2019

appreciation Friday

circa 2012
For those who weren't here back then, I once held the prestigious title of "School Crossing Guard".  Our kids' elementary school was not far away, I was a stay-at-home-mom, it was a nice little gig for a bit of mad money.

Some days, it would be FREEZING cold.  I didn't typically have many "customers" on those days, but had to be there nonetheless for the handful of tough kids.

And it wasn't that bad since each shift was only about 30 minutes long.




Here is what my old office looks like today:


There's been a major project on this road for about two  months now.  The city is replacing about a half-mile of the water main that runs from the crosswalk on down.  The road went from 5 lanes to two, and it's been messy and inconvenient.  But I don't care.  These guys are gettin' 'er done, so I'm giving them a shout out!

It's clearly a big project.  Living in the neighborhood, I've seen much daily progress.  Out with the old pipe, in with the new, and all the tearing-up-the-road that entails.  Those workers are out there every day in all kinds of weather and traffic.  New years eve?  When the weather was nearly unfit for penguins?  They were out there!  Just like today.

So I appreciate them working to get this project completed without delay and with minimal inconvenience.  Also, there's been no interruption in water service this whole time.  I probably just jinxed us, but as least we have our backup hillbilly water jugs in storage.

Speaking of projects and storage, I've made inroads on Operation Consolidation and clearing out the basement level.  I was reminded of Marie Kondo's advice (paraphrasing):

Don't look at your stuff and think about what you want to discard.  Look at your stuff and think about what you want to keep.

*looks around at my stuff*

Yeesh.



7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love that kind of work ethic no matter the weather, just gettin' it done!
And screw Kondo! She makes me feel awful.
I have a lot of books and I am not throwing them away. :-)
Boy good thing it's Friday, I'm a crabby ole witch this week. Sorry

Chatty Crone said...

They say if it makes you happy when you look at it keep it. And some day - books might be antiques. Love the school bus guard!

Abby said...

Margaret, yeah, we've cleaned out many books over the years. I donate them, so they live on somewhere!

Chatty, I know many people who still prefer physical books over e-readers, but they could be considered antiques soon!

ShadowRun300 said...

We have begun the first stages of moving into our 1 bedroom apartment, and Marie’s advice has been running through my mind all day. We’re keeping only what we want to keep, but we are still having trouble discarding the rest. Tomorrow, we’ll bring it to our office space in Illinois and store it there. Baby steps.
Our workers in St. Louis could learn a few things from your guys. Very impressive!

Abby said...

SR300, baby steps it is! I find the things that are hardest to get rid of aren't necessarily the useful things that we don't use anymore, but the sentimental things.

Linda Hensley said...

Are you missing your crosswalk gig? It would be interesting to watch the workers. Maybe. Glad you're loving your puppy. All you really need is puppy love, right?

Abby said...

Linda, I don't miss the crosswalk gig very much. But I do find it interesting watching bits of this project. Gives an appreciation for clean running water!