Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

it's a wrap

Happy day-after, everyone.  I, for one, am glad Christmas is behind us.  Don't get me wrong, I love the seasonal break and time with family and to reflect.  I'm not a fan of the over consumption of stuff and the stress it brings to so many.  I don't participate in that part, but I know there are those who really enjoy finding creative and quirky gifts for people, though, and don't mean to spoil their fun.

We live not far from a  mall.  Although malls have lost  a lot of traffic in recent years, Christmas time seems to forget about that.  So I'm glad to have less traffic in the area now... oh, wait, there are weeks now of people returning stuff... 'tis the season.

We had a nice day at home.  Wolfgang arrived about mid-morning.  Traditionally, we've had ham and my awesome scalloped potatoes.  This year, I replaced the scalloped potatoes with glazed sweet potatoes because lactose intolerance has infiltrated the family (Chaco, Meego).  Meego looked almost disappointed, stating, "Sometimes it's worth it".

Wolfgang brought some lemon bars, and my SIL had brought over a food-truck pie earlier in the week, so I didn't have to slave over the dessert like I usually do (go to the store, buy a pie).

There were gifts for the kids because, well, I can't resist THAT much.

We spoiled Penny, the new pooch, then the four of us went for a nice afternoon hike as the sun set.  It was nice to see others out enjoying the great outdoors.  As we walked along, we passed a few random evergreens that someone had decorated with Christmas ornaments - nice touch.  This would be a good spot for a pic of said trees, but I didn't think of it.

Use your imagination:



Plus, Wolfgang recently got a new phone that takes really nice photos.  Here's one he took of Penny that's so much better than the blur blobs from my camera.


See how his camera sharply picked up every piece of grit and grime on the rug?  We still don't know what she is, breed-wise. We've narrowed it down to some kind of hound mixed with who-knows.   I think she's just her own little melting pot.

Chaco and his girlfriend came over shortly after Wolfgang had to leave, since Wolfgang's working today.  Chaco and Jess had been up skiing, so missed all the earlier frivolity at our house.  We had a nice visit with them, and they further helped eat the food-truck pie.

All in all, a good day with much to be thankful for.  Now onto the next - New Year's resolution time! 😳



7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I make no resolutions ever. Well not since my 20's. This way I don't have to stress that I didn't keep them.
Your dog looks a bit like a Russell terrier don't you think? That cute face does to me. :-)
But who cares, she is adorable and has a good home. That is all that matter.

Chatty Crone said...

Penny is cute. I think she is beagle with jack Russell. Nice new phone for your son. We don't do Christmas up really big either. Small family too. Scalloped potatoes did sound good.

Abby said...

Margaret, I'm not a resolutionist either. We're thinking Jack Russell terrier too, mixed with...? Either way, you're right. Doesn't matter.

Chatty, my husband thought so too on the JackaBea (yes, found out that's a thing). Glad you don't go crazy for Christmas. I'm sure yours was warm and loving.

LL Cool Joe said...

The first image doesn't show up for me.

I'm glad Christmas is over too, but maybe not for the same reason as you. I find the family gatherings overwhelming. I just want to get home and be alone and relax. I'm okay with my partner and kids, but beyond that I find it all too much.

ShadowRun300 said...

Sheesh! I missed a lot while I was away. But I’m all caught up now.
Sounds like your Christmas was similar to ours. Not a whole lot of hoopla, but time with the family, and few gifts to boot. (Because after all, it IS Christmas.)
And what a great gift Penny is to you all! She’s so adorable! No wonder you couldn’t resist. Looking forward to seeing and reading more about her. Too cute!

Linda Hensley said...

My Penny is half Jack Russell and I see some similarities, though she's also half mutt so I don't know how good this is as a comparison. Great dog name though! I've made scalloped potatoes with almond milk. Nobody knew the difference. Wishing you a happy New Year!

Abby said...

LL Cool Joe, several years ago, we realized we had 5 Christmases one year because of the different extended family gatherings. We vowed to never do that again!

SR300, our kids have joined the wagon of "don't get me anything", but I just gotta. Thanks for catching up!

Linda, I never knew your dog's name until now - good choice! I'm going to try a small batch of almond milk scalloped taters. Thanks for the tip!