Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2018

it's a bird

I cooked a chicken yesterday.  Big deal, right?  Well, here's the thing:  since Meego abandoned us and left for college, my urge to cook real food seemed to have left with him - not that it was all that strong when he was here.

For the past nearly 25 years, I've been chief cook and bottle washer around here.  Admittedly, I didn't always love it, but, kids gotta eat, right?  Now that it's just us two empty-nesters, Magnum and I have been making do with throwing together whatever's around, and I haven't been giving it much thought.

But that's gotten old, so I cooked a chicken.  It feels like an accomplishment, I might cook again someday.

Speaking of accomplishments, I will give my final Inktober stats.  I managed 22 of the 31 prompts before the Halloween deadline.  Good enough, and it was fun and cheap entertainment.   Here are the last few.






Anyone else feel less than motivated to cook for just one or two people?  Got any good and lazy recipes to share?  Something other than "spoon, peanut butter, mouth"?





8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

To tell you the truth - I am kind of waiting for the day I can cook for just two!

Morgan Cartwright said...

When the kids aren't home for whatever reason, I rarely cook for just myself. It seems pointless.

Chicken Tortilla Soup and Tomato Tortellini soup are two easy crock pot recipes.

Jimmy said...

Cindy does all the cooking around here, and a fine job she does...I do the outside cooking on the grill, and I really enjoy it but cutting back on the portions since the kids moved out is harder than it looks!

Abby said...

Chatty, I bet! It's a different world over here.

Morgan, aren't crock pots the best? It's what cooked my chicken this week. Thanks for the soup ideas!

Jimmy, yes I get it. "cutting back on the portions" means he cooks himself a burger on the Forman grill.

ShadowRun300 said...

Cook? What’s that? When Panera stared delivering, any hope of me ever cooking again went down the drain.
Not a bad showing for Inktober... I like your “Chop”. :)

Linda Hensley said...

When I'm in the mood to cook I cook a lot. Then I freeze it in individual servings that I can microwave. Now I'm thinking I'd like to cook a chicken too. Congrats on your Inktober efforts. You did 22 more than I managed, and I like all of your drawings.

Abby said...

SR300, admittedly, I've cooked a few "Chops". Bring on the Panera.

Linda, similarly with me, might as well make a bunch.
See you for Inktober 2019? Right around the corner!

Annsterw said...

LOL! Now imagine only having yourself to cook for! I RARELY cook!! Basically because it's just me and then I end up eating whatever I cook for 10 days to get rid of it all!! UGH and ICK!! HA HA!