Pages

Friday, November 2, 2018

in search of degenerates?


de·gen·er·ate
noun

/dəˈjen(ə)rət/

     1.  an immoral or corrupt person
______________________________________________________

Magnum and I both found ourselves with a day off today.  It was a nice day out, so after getting some obligatory things done, we went to play in nature.

We went for a short hike in an area we've been to only once before that I remember.  All of the leaves were very well past peak, so this wasn't a fall foliage hike by any means. We did see a lot of leaves, though - all over the ground - as well as a lot of naked trees.


It was sort of meant to be a geocaching mission, but since we ended up one-for-four on that count, we won't call it a geocaching mission.

It was nice to get out, though, and enjoy some fresh air and sunshine and nature.  My allergies have been bugging me lately.  I went to get my weekly injection today and asked Geej, the shot girl, if any other patients were whining.

She looked at me rather perplexed and said, "Uhm... no.  We're not even doing pollen counts any more". 

Well, something's up, anyway!  But today was good.  I could both breathe and walk a straight line for the most part.  And it was nice to be in an unfamiliar spot.  We'd stumbled upon some 4-wheeler destination, so it wasn't a total bust.


As we were looking for geocaches, we read some comments from other searchers.  One included a picture of a snake they'd come across, another commented on some "homeless degenerates" living out of their vans.  We saw neither snakes nor homeless degenerates, but we would definitely concur with another who warned us about the proliferation of cactus. It was everywhere.



So a nice day.  Our Halloween snow has mostly melted.  I'm not sure if the cold wet weather was the cause, but Halloween in our neighborhood was almost a non-event.  I think we had just four small groups come to the door.

We used to have lots of kids in the neighborhood.  Have they all grown up without replacements?  What to do with the leftover candy? 

5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I like when I read the word - play. Glad you still do it!

Abby said...

Chatty, I hope you do too!

ShadowRun300 said...

“Homeless degenerates” leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I’ve had my share of dealings with a few of them around here. Not fun, so glad you were able to avoid them.
Hmm. Extra candy? Best part about Halloween. :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I"m sending my address for your left over candy.

Abby said...

SR300, I've run into a few "homeless degenerates" but never in the wild :)

Margaret, the pile is dwindling!