Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Silver Liningness

For many Sundays, I used to blog "Silver Liningness Sunday" posts, serving as a recap of the week and being thankful.  Maybe I should fire that up again, at least occasionally.  This week had some rough patches, but they were balanced with good parts.  And it could definitely be worse, it can always be worse.

Our manager announced that her managers are transferring her to a different crew next year.  She doesn't want to go, but wasn't given a choice.  Right away, a few of my coworkers assumed the worse:  that our new manager will be a bitch, even though he/she hasn't been hired yet.  I found it interesting to see different people's reactions to change

While I'm sad to see our manager go - she really is a pleasure to work for - I'm not fretting about who the next boss will be.  Maybe it's because this part-time lunch lady gig is just a stepping stone for me.  It's a way to make some contacts and move away from the field of education to that of operations and supervision.

And silver lining:  the schedule is ideal, and I believe my "fan base" has grown as I've have managed to improve a few things.



In related news, a large and heavy freezer cart tried to crush and kill me this week.  I managed to stop it, however.  Mostly with my face.

Silver lining:  I guess my time at the gym is paying off, plus I'm sporting some new eyeglass frames 😎.

Meego and the winter percussion group had state competition yesterday.  They did not medal despite a solid performance.  In fact, the judging was so weird, it's almost as if there were outside factors involved in the scoring (conspiracy!).

Honestly, I'm usually in agreement with the judging, win or no, but this year was way off.  Enough to where there was a lot of...


... going around.

Silver lining:  The kids had a fun season and made lasting memories while greatly increasing their skills.  And the audience clearly enjoyed the show.  Onto the next thing!

All in all, a good week.

And I'm curious, do you fear change?



4 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

I think change is exciting, but maybe it’s because I’m making the change - the change isn’t happening to me. I can understand your co-worker’s fear. My team had the same fear when they learned they were getting a new manager.
What happened with the heavy freezer? I want more details! Are you ok?

Abby said...

You're right, people like to be in control of their changes! But see, it worked out for your team :)
Ugh, that freezer cart. I think it was mad at me that day. I'm fine and I think we're friends again.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm not really good at change, but I know it's good for me. Who knows maybe the new manager will be even better than the old one?

What is a freezer cart?

Abby said...

I'm going to be optimistic about the new manager. How bad can he/she be? *JINX*

A freezer cart is a big cart. That goes in a big freezer.