Pages

Thursday, January 4, 2018

whatsherface

Last year, around this time, I was glad to be finished with grad school and wondering what the future held.  I was updating the resume' and perusing job sites, updating the Linkedin account...

I'm now into my second job since then.  I've learned that I should take a job where I can say, "I would enjoy doing that" rather than, "I can put up with that for a year".

In all, it's been a good year of, at least, thinking about and discovering possibilities.  During the process, I read plenty of articles that pertain to me and the job search.

"Soft skills" are valuable assets for job seekers and something someone like me - whose been out of full-time work for quite a while - can play up.

One soft skill I'd say I'm pretty good with is being attentive to people.  I've mentioned here before how my name is often mispronounced.  My last name is Barker, and for some reason, people don't see that first "R" and I'm referred to as "Baker".  Like nine times out of ten! Even from people that kinda know me!  Any stranger who reads my name and says it correctly the first time gets automatic points from me.

Since it's been happening for as long as I've been married, I think I try harder than the average bear to get people's names correct.

And since I do have that Linkedin account, they send me articles and links meant to be helpful for such things.  They often try to get me to sign up for classes they offer, and this week another such offer was in the email.  It was addressed to me, but...

Who is Steve??



Maybe the Linkedin autobot needs to work on its soft skills.

At least it didn't call me "Baker".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up with Mama Kat this week for the prompt:
6. What were you blogging about a year ago? What has changed since then?


6 comments:

KatBouska said...

LinkedIn definitely needs to work on his soft skills. I'm surprised he still has a job to be honest. Amazing how much happens in just a year!

John Holton said...

I got a congratulatory letter from one of the senior vice presidents that went on at great length about what a great job I had done, and his last line was "Thank you, Stan!" My favorite letter of all time...

John - The Sound of One Hand Typing

Mimi N said...

Oh goodness, your poor last name. If I admit I read Baker (which used to be my last name) would that count as our first meeting? I think one thing I need to do is get better at utilizing my LinkedIn acct. I need for for more than one reason. I chose to write about my word of the year!

Madamdreamweaver said...

I like what you said about choosing a job with "I'd enjoy doing that," vs "I can put up with this." Definitely the way to go.

Linda Hensley said...

I remember reading your name the first time and thinking Barker is unusual. Yay, I get bonus points! Maybe even extra bonus points since I'm dyslexic too and noticing extra letters isn't my strong suit. Wishing you much happiness with the new job. I'm with you about not putting up with jobs I don't like anymore.

lotta joy said...

I had two jobs in my life that I LOVED.....except when you're working FOR someone, that person can decide in a heartbeat if you're going to continue being happy or be forced to make the decision to leave.