Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2017

communication skills

Do you leave your phone on all the time?  Is it near you when you sleep?  I was having this conversation recently with some people, and the overall majority said they sleep with their phones.

They had reasons:
"It's my alarm"
"I get called into work early in the morning"
"What if... happens?!"

Unless Meego is out late somewhere, I typically turn my phone off at bedtime.  Yes, we have older kids, but they're technically adults and pretty self sufficient.

Tuesday morning I turned on the phone and as it booted up, I had two texts from Chaco:

"J took me to the hospital, but I'm better now"

"Wolfgang knows the details"

Okay, so that was slightly better than the time he texted me that he'd been hit by a car while on his bicycle to his place from our house and nothing more.  Slightly.



I eventually got the scoop.  Chaco and his girlfriend were at a rock climbing gym.  As Chaco was climbing, he was gripping a hold with his left hand and his feet slipped from the wall, leaving him dangling from the hold with his left hand.  In hindsight, I guess he should've just let go, but who would do that?

Since he didn't just let go, he dislocated his left shoulder.  The crew in the ER, with the help of some good drugs, put him back together.

As I talked to him, I told him I'd turned off my phone around 10:00.

"Ha, I texted you at 10:06"

Figures.

Other than THAT, it's been a great week.  I got in my last days at that old  high school job, and feel I'm leaving on a good note.  I like the kids and the staff, it was the job itself that sucked 😝.  And there was some silly drama - from a few of the adults! - that I didn't care to be a part of. 

They still have one more week left of school before winter break, but it's half days for finals.  I'm out.  That last class on Friday took FOREVER!  I swear time stopped.

What time is it?  Where's your phone?


9 comments:

Linda Hensley said...

I leave my cell phone on the kitchen counter and forget to look at it for days at a time. I have a house phone if anybody wants to talk to me, but I refuse to pick it up once I go to sleep. If there's a disaster, I don't want to hear about it until tomorrow, especially if it involves bailing someone out of jail. I'm starting to feel antisocial now that I've typed this. Glad to hear Chaco will be alright and glad you've successfully ended your teaching career. I hope the next adventures are happier for both of you!

LL Cool Joe said...

Glad Chaco will recover, sounds painful. I don't have a phone, which I know amazes everyone, but I just don't want to be available 24 hours a day.

Abby said...

Thanks, Linda. I think my true reason for turning off my phone is, like you - "If there's a disaster, I don't want to hear about it until tomorrow..."
And you're not totally antisocial, you visited here :)

Abby said...

Stick to your guns, Joey! I have one friend who only has a dumb phone, but you're a notch above.
Another friend of mine doesn't have email, which seems shocking.

ShadowRun300 said...

I keep my phone by my bed in case something happens at the hotel I need to be aware of. But I typically sleep through text messages, so I don’t know why I bother. They know to call if it’s a true emergency.
I’m with you though... somethings I don’t want to know about until the morning. Glad to know Chaco is ok. What a scary thing to wake up to!

Abby said...

I know, right? "hospital" can mean all kinda things!
Like you, I usually sleep through texts anyway.

Morgan Cartwright said...

It's around 11:49 am and my phone is in my desk drawer. I've peeked at it occasionally this morning to see if the vet has called.

Abby said...

Well... did the vet call yet?!?

Morgan Cartwright said...

She called me around 5:30 and the little kitten got to come home last night!