Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2016

I'm boring, don't follow me

Someday, we'll get this one!


Very recently, I opened an Instagram account.  Not because I feel a need to instantly share what I'm eating for lunch or what my cat is doing or an exciting selfie taken while alone in the car... No, I opened the account because it just happens that Instagram is the sharing platform of choice for the Geocaching mother ship and community.








Readers here know that Magnum and I took up geocaching a couple of years ago, and it's become a fun hobby.  Prior to taking it up, I had no idea how big a following it had.  There are some real zealots.  There are also some very exotic cache locations and creative containers.  For instance, there is apparently a cache on top of Mt. Everest.  It has the maximum ratings for difficulty and terrain.  Ya think!?

Might skip this one






So naturally, it's kinda fun to see where/what others are hunting and finding - for those who have an interest in the activity.

For those who don't have an interest... YAWN.







Which is why it annoyed me to learn that, as soon as I opened my Instagram account, it tried to hook me up with my f@book friends who also have Instagram accounts.  Not only that, but those friends were also alerted about my account, and I nearly instantaneously began receiving requests to "follow" me.

I felt I should allow them to follow, then I felt obligated to follow them back.  But, if we're already friends on fbook, I honestly don't care to see their Instagram photos.

There.  I said it.



I set up the Instagram account solely for geocaching fun.  As far as I know, only one of my f@book friends is a geocacher, and she doesn't do Instagram.

So lemme just say right now.,. if you are a friend of mine on f@book and you also have an Instagram account and you receive a suggestion to follow me and you have no interest in geocaching, don't take the bait!


Unless  you want your feed to include infrequent posts of bug riddled containers in the woods or...





... little things hanging in trees or...


















... yes... tupperware in the forest.

Much more exciting than it looks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up with MamaKat again for the prompt:
4. Share a recent photo or video you added to Instagram and give us the back story.

.

15 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm not on Facebook or Instagram and having read your post I think it was the right decision.

Abby said...

Keep fighting the good fight, Joey!

Marcy said...

I have an Instagram account, too, but I rarely use it. I didn't realize how much it's geared toward phones, and I take most of my photos on a camera. I can see it would be cool if you are posting about a certain topic like you are.

Abby said...

The revelation that I can only upload photos from my phone or tablet was news to me too.

Morgan Cartwright said...

My Instagram does not get used very often. I don't even look at the app a lot. If I do post, it is kinda in spurts. Kinda like my Facebook posts. Few and far between.

Abby said...

I thought it was kind of silly that Instagram and Facebook are in cahoots, since we can already post pics to facebook anyway. My posts on either are very few and far between.

SHON said...

Really great!

May said...

This sounds like such a fun adventure to me. I need to dive in. Tupperware in the woods?! Count me in!

Abby said...

It's really easy to get started. Careful, though. Once you find that first Tupperware, you'll be addicted!

Linda Hensley said...

It sounds like fun to look for the geocaches, but I feel like I have a hard enough time keeping up with the blogs I like. Wishing you the best with Instagram and your searches though!

ShadowRun300 said...

You don't have to tell me twice. I wouldn't even know how to get started. But I'm always interested to see your pics, so you'll have to share them here too. Deal?

Abby said...

Yes, so many distractions, so little time...

Abby said...

Deal :).
Someone's gotta use those expensive satellites.

KatBouska said...

Fun! I've always wanted to do this with my kids!

Abby said...

Wish we'd started when the kids were younger. There's still time for you!