Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2016

gallons of ink

Remember the days before youtube?  I do, vaguely.  Heck, I remember the days before the internet.  And then came the early days of the internet, where pages took several minutes to load and contained only text.  Uploading images, sometimes not possible, could take hours.

Now, youtube says there are 300 hours of video uploaded every minute.

Personally, I mainly use youtube to help me solve some sort of problem rather than for entertainment.  When our microwave went on the fritz last week?  I learned what was wrong with it on youtube and how to fix it... which helped me determine that I should just go buy a new one.

So I don't subscribe to any channels, just search for stuff when I have a specific need.  Then there's the process of wading through the unhelpful videos to the good stuff.  That said, I'll give a shout out to global cycling network which has many well done videos that have saved me bunches of money  by helping me fix and maintain my bicycles myself.  Their bicycles are much  more high end than one I will ever own, but they do a good job of explaining everything, and I just happen to enjoy their accents.

Another fall back is TED talks.  I'll often stream videos that seem interesting to me while I'm completing some mundane bit of housewifery.  They have tons of content, much of which I don't care for, but I can usually find something interesting.

So, those are a couple of "Big Box Stores" of youtube, but I'd like to throw some applause to Peter Draws, by a youtuber named Peter who draws.  Surprise!!

There are a lot of videos of people drawing or painting or whatnot on youtube.  Some are tutorials and some are just "lookie what I made!".  Peter Draws videos aren't quite vlogs and aren't necessarily tutorials either.

He makes time lapse videos of himself drawing highly intricate... doodles, for lack of a better term.

Peter Draws
Peter Draws
     

 He then does voice-over commentary.  It's almost like a blog post, but it's a video.  It doesn't seem like the typical vlog, though, because it's just his words streaming while this drawings are forming.  He doesn't always talk about the drawing, just random thoughts - stuff that might be written in a blog post.

The audio is very clear, with no background noise pollution, unless he intentionally includes a bit of music.  And he takes care to provide good video quality.  We just see his hands moving around while the drawing takes shape.  In fact, he mentions in one of his videos that he typically goes out of his way to not let the paper move while he makes the videos.

That's not an easy thing to do.  I've made a few very amateurish videos of me drawing, and the paper  is annoyingly moving all over the place while my camera sits at a bad angle.

The resulting Peter Draws videos, I just find very relaxing.  While I don't sit back and just watch them, I often stream his videos while I'm doing some drawing for Illustration Friday, for example.  I don't know if I like his videos because I like to draw, or if I just like them because I like them.

I'll include the trailer for his channel here, readers can see what they think.  I'm interested to know.





I don't know him, he doesn't know me, he's not paying me to promote his channel.  I'm just answering a prompt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up with Mama Kat for the promt:
6. List your favorite YouTube channels.


8 comments:

Morgan Cartwright said...

Wow! His drawings are amazing! Definitely going to have to check his channel out!

ShadowRun300 said...

I use YouTube like Pandora. And sometimes to watch funny cat videos. But that's about the extent of my video watching.
I think I remember you posting a video of your drawing once. You should do it again! Maybe Peter'll watch you. :)

Abby said...

Ya just never know what they're going to turn into!

Abby said...

I admit to watching my fair share of "babies 'n' puppies" videos...
IF I make any more drawing videos, I'll need to up my game.

Marcy said...

Interesting! I enjoyed Peter's trailer and thought his drawings were cool, too. I like the idea for his channel, but I probably won't watch any more of his videos. (He taught me how to get good at hanging out in dark alleys, too! Bonus.) I don't follow any particular YouTube channels. I like to read and look at photos more than I like watching videos. I'll check out songs on YouTube, though.

Abby said...

Yes, keep hanging out in those dark alleys and eventually you'll get good at it!
I also don't like to just watch videos. I mainly just listen to youtube if I play it at all.

KatBouska said...

I hadn't heard of Peter Draws. He's amazing! You should check out Mary Doodles on YouTube as well...same idea, her name is Mary and she doodles and she's amazing. :)

Abby said...

Thanks, I checked Mary Doodles! Fun stuff!