Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

well... today anyways

How about that Polar Vortex, eh?

School's closing, thermometer's bottoming out, employees getting days off.  I purposely haven't ragged on the weather this week, but Mama Kat gave the prompt:

5.) Show us what winter looks like in your neck of the woods!

So here it is, but FIRST, lemme just say to my friends in the the outer climes, I'm SORRY!!

Okay, we actually DID get sucked into the polar vortex.  FOR TWO DAYS.
And then it got all nice!

I had to run a couple of errands today, so I took a few pics to answer the prompt:






It wasn't all that nice, however.  I had to take the buxom Bella bicycle  instead of speedy Alice bicycle, as there was some old snow laying around trying to melt.  Waah.


















And the sky wasn't totally cloudless








And this guy walking his dogs had to wear a windbreaker!

Then this Chinook helicopter came by to rescue me from the ice!  (and point out the splotch on my camera lens?)

...except there really wasn't much ice.

Because it was close to 50 flippin'  degrees.

Fahrenheit!





I did say I was sorry!


17 comments:

terri said...

We're climbing out of that vortex today too. It was well above zero degrees, which felt a bit on the balmy side after the last few days.

Your not-totally-cloudless sky is beautiful! Looks like you're putting that new camera to good use!

Anonymous said...

Don't be too sorry. We'll be heading into the upper 40s this weekend! Although, I don't know if it'll last long enough to melt all our snow.
I have a feeling Alice will appreciate this break once the roads clear up. And then it'll be poor Bella who has to sit the bench.
Enjoy your beautiful blue sky and warm weather while you can! And thanks for the pics. I need a Colorado fix every once in a while!

Rock Chef said...

Nice of the army to come to the rescue! Our weather is changing here too, but I will save that for my own blog!

agg79 said...

Nice to hear that you are out of that Polar Vortex thing. I was expecting to see more snow in your area, but it still looks brisk. We had a bounce down here as well - not as cold as you guys up there, but still pretty chilly for this region. We are now back up in the 50's.

Abby said...

Funny how "above zero" can sound so good!

Abby said...

I will enjoy it, because it's bound to change at any minute! Glad the vortex is spinning out.

Abby said...

The NSA probably alerted the military that I was out taking photos of dog walkers. Stay warm!

Abby said...

It was cold for a couple of days - cold enough to keep the snow accumulation down. Funny how that works.

Ms. CrankyPants said...

Freezing rain here this morning, but it's going to be nearly 60 tomorrow. I may bust out my shorts.

No, no I won't. Someone might be taking pictures...

Rebecca S. said...

I can relate. While the rest of the country is a 30-50 below and blowing snow and freezing rain and falling icicles and slick roads...we have plus seven and rain. Not as pretty as what you have, though!

Abby said...

Ack, now I have to convert from Celsius to relate. You Canadians!

Anita said...

We had our couple days of COLD weather. For us in central Virginia, that means in the single digits and teens with a wind chill added to drop those numbers. Then today, the rains came. It's warmer, but dreary.

Our public school kids actually had a two hour delay (late arrival to school) on Wednesday and Thursday. Can't have those poor kids standing at bus stops while a polar vortex going on.

Good prompt and good response.

Abby said...

Freezing rain. Not a fan.
I left a reply here earlier. Where did it go? Okay, now I think maybe I really AM under surveillance!

Abby said...

Did you homeschool for those four hours?? Nose to the grindstone!

Riot Kitty said...

That's warmer than it was here, and it's warm here - hmm. Meanwhile, my poor family in Minnesota is getting the "polar" out of the polar vortex.

KatBouska said...

I really want to step into the polar vortex...after all this chat about it I just want to know what it FEELS like!

meleah rebeccah said...

I am actually enjoying the Polar Vortex! And yes, I know that probably makes me crazy!