Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Silver Liningness Sunday

Turned a page on the calendar this week... and there was nothing behind it!  Happy New Year!

A lovely week it was.  Of course, there's that new bicycle.  Alice and I spent about 30 lovely righteous miles together before the snow came in and spoiled our fun.  Tessa seems okay with the new roommate (NOT).  I dropped her off at the spa to hopefully ease her pain.  Little does she know that it's, in part, a ploy to get her ready for someone else?

We have an AdAmAn Club that climbs Pikes Peak every year and sets off fireworks from the summit at the stroke of midnight on New Year's eve.  It's a wonderful tradition, and the task of climbing the peak in the middle of winter is no small feat.



This year, as I mentioned, New Year's eve was a pretty clear and mild night.  That's not to say there weren't typically brutal conditions at the top of the peak, but the views of the fireworks were the best I can remember since we moved here.  Really a spectacular site while running down the street like  a weirdo at midnight

And speaking of New Year's Eve, our microwave up and died showing no signs of life whatsoever despite our attempts at resuscitation.  The silver lining to that is, next morning, it was ready for action.  Whaat?  Oh well, apparently we have the Lazarus edition of that particular microwave.


The Rescue Run was a good time, and I'm glad of that holiday tradition too, since I rarely enter races.  Proceeds go to the county Search and Rescue, so certainly a good cause and I met some fun people.





In movie news, Magnum and I watched Coyote, and I think I actually liked it despite disagreeing with the ignorant main characters.  But I like independent films, and this one has a short indie film feel even though it's over an hour and a half long.  Acting is bad, but the story held my attention.  It was categorized as a comedy, but it's really suspenseful and dramatic.










And back to "How Colorado Rolls", some may have noticed that retail sales of recreational marijuana started this week.  Sheesh!  The lines!  People stood for HOURS just to buy some weed.  Don't they know that they can just go out to the walking path out back and find some high school kid and...

... I think I'll stop typing now.
.

18 comments:

terri said...

Good to hear you got some time in with Alice, although my heart breaks just a little bit for poor Tessa.

Those crazy hikers, climbing Pike's Peak on New Year's Eve! I don't know if Minnesota has any famously crazy events on New Year's Eve. Either way, I'm not throwing my hat in the ring to create some insane outdoor tradition. I'm a wimp like that.

Nice that the Lazarus microwave came back to life. I'm sure you're all relieved. It's not easy living for any length of time without one.

A coworker with a relative in Colorado was talking about how you can just go out and by some marijuana now. A few of us wondered how much it costs and she guessed about $400 for I can't remember what amount. $400? Seriously? Call me cheap but that's just way to much money for something that just goes up in smoke.

Marcy said...

I keep hearing about cool winter traditions from you! I think Connecticut needs to up its game to compete with Colorado! Happy new year!

agg79 said...

Now let me get this straight. They climbed all the way to the summit of Pikes Peak in the dead of winter just to set off fireworks at midnight? And that's normal behavior for Coloradians? I did Pike's Peak a few times I was younger, but we made it to the top via more conventional means (aka car of cog railway). Definitely hard core.

I was going to comment on the recent legalization of cannabis on how much you are looking forward to seeing a whole new load of flat landers (aka Texans) descent on Colorado for some weed.

Abby said...

Meego is lobbying heavily to keep Tessa around for HIM, otherwise, I can't really see having both hens in the hen house.
And I honestly don't know the going rate for an ounce of ganja, and I don't plan on shopping for any anytime soon!

Abby said...

I bet Connecticut is ripe for some winter traditions - it gets pretty cold there, right?!?

Abby said...

Yah, and they're BIG fireworks - like you can see them from my house! I think there's only been two times in almost 100 years they've turned back because of weather trying to kill them. I want them in my zombie apocalypse camp!

We had people from as far away as New Jersey come over just for some pot. What's more Texans in Colorado?

Anonymous said...

I'm a little sad to see Tessa go, but it sounds like you'll get her to a loving new owner. (Which might be Meego?)
I like the way Colorado rolls. In fact, I'd move there in a heartbeat, except I've determined I'm really a fair-weather Coloradoan.
Scary thing about that microwave! Glad it came back to life!

Abby said...

I'm hoping to sell Tessa to someone I know, so I can visit. I'd prefer it not be Meego, I don't want him riding on the roads! And boy, we're really reminded of how much we use a microwave once it goes on the fritz!

LL Cool Joe said...

That's weird the way electrical appliances completely die, and then spring back into action again. I have a camera that does that too. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A bit like me. :D

Ms. CrankyPants said...

Colorado sounds better and better (and this has nothing to do w/ the pot, I swear!). My parents lived in Boulder for two years, and I visited a couple of times; it's beautiful. My husband and I are tentatively planning a trip there this spring. When would you recommend coming? I have MS and am a mess in the heat, but it'd be nice to have good weather so we can get out and hike. (Oh, and not the in-the-snow hiking!)

Given that you have the Lazarus microwave, I'd start inspecting your potato chips and/or cornflakes more closely. You could very well have a Virgin Mary chip or a Jesus cornflake. I hear you can get some serious cash for those on eBay...

Abby said...

Do you come with an owner's manual?

Abby said...

May, I'll go with May. April can be anywhere from sweltering to blizzard. The last two Junes have been people's-homes-burning and smoke-everywhere months. May - my final answer.

We might have a Cleopatra Cheerio.

Ms. CrankyPants said...

HOLY CRAP! I'll give you $250 for it! Not including shipping!! Can you overnight it?

Thanks for the tip; I was leaning toward May!

Riot Kitty said...

Standing in line for hours to buy pot? It's still illegal here, and I'm sure there are no lines!

Oh...the number verification started with 420! Haha!

Abby said...

Whooaa, that's wiiiild, 420... (said with a stoned voice)

Marcy said...

Oh, yeah--way too cold.

Rock Chef said...

There is always something nice about riding a new bike. Glad you got a bit of time before the weather broke!

The legal weed is big news over here - the results will be used by both sides to argue for and against over here too. I suspect that the government would be OK with legalising it here if they could stick on a huge tax like they do with cigarettes and beer...

Abby said...

Some cities, including ours, opted to not allow retail sales for recreational pot. But I can easily drive an hour away to stand in line for 6 hours for some. I think our city council might be missing and rethinking the tax revenue.