Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

human display

Charlie
The day was warm and sunny, and without the irritating wind that's been hanging around. Traffic to and from Denver wasn't an issue, and as far as I know, the stepmominlaw didn't pick any fights.

Zoo success. 

Because it was such a nice day, there were plenty of zoo visitors - lots of little and cute zoo visitors.  How special for a toddler to be inches away from a Komodo dragon's mouth and yet free from the threat of certain death.



Lots of educational opportunities at the zoo too.  For example, there was a zoo employee giving the mountain goat habitat a good cleaning with a fire hose, which gave me some great ideas for my house... if only I could get the other inhabitants to go along.

We really don't do much with the paternal in-laws.  I first met them while in college during a bring-the-girlfriend-to-meet-Dad trip.  They live in California and Magnum and I flew out during a break.  I remember his dad, who seemed like a nice enough man,  picking us up at the airport.  When we got to the house, Magnum and the stepmominlaw proceeded to get into an argument while she made him a sandwich. 

I would soon learn that this was all very normal for them.  She'd probably enjoy a round or two with me, but I think she's learned that I'm not interested, so no fun, and she has (almost) given up on the trash talk. 

I'm not sure why they were in Denver yesterday, but they'd invited us to come up and do the zoo.  It was nice to have the large crowded zoo to detract from a fight or two breaking out.  Probably the most difficult part of the day was getting teenagers up and presentable by a decent hour for a zoo. 
.

9 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

You got them up AND presentable? You must share your wisdom!
I love the fire hose idea! Could use it now. The dog, unbeknownst to us, was up all night puking up bone shards. Don't know where she got them from... but I can see where they ended up. :/
Glad you had a fun day, but sorry you didn't run into Peyton. That woulda been the icing on the cake!

Abby said...

Nope, no Peyton. Obviously he didn't get the memo that I would be there. And ew, sorry about the pooch. I wonder what it would take to connect a firehose to the house.

D.Shawnte said...

Awww too bad that little argument took place :s Arguments always bring me down for some reason x.x. I hope you had a good time at the zoo :3!

Scott said...

I love the gorilla--what a magnificent creature!

agg79 said...

Wow. You got whole crew up and on the road early was an impressive feat. Sounds like an uneventful, productive trip to the zoo with the whole menagerie. At least it was at a neutral, public place to preclude any conflicts with the family. Sometimes it is more entertaining to watch the people at the zoo instead of the inmates.

Abby said...

He's a favorite of mine too. That's why his pic makes the blog post!

CiCi said...

The last sentence says it all. The Family Zoo. We all have those.

terri said...

I think you're on to something here. I'm going to propose that all of our extended family events take place at the zoo. Weddings... Christmas... Baby Showers...

If anyone wants to act up, they can just go sit in the monkey cage.

Anita said...

In the words of my kids, "That was sort of random."

Could be the start of more family gatherings. :)

I like zoos. And I agree with you - enough going on there to avoid confrontation. We want to behave as well as the animals, right?