Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

cool the engines

I've got a case of the guilties this morning.

Remember last year? When Chaco "Continuated" from 8th grade to 9th grade and I blogged about the silly bloated ceremony? I'm not saying they shouldn't have some sort of shindig to wish the 8th graders well on their exit from middle school to high school, but that ceremony was such and exhibition of pomposity, I felt surely they couldn't be serious.

So, I braced myself, knowing that this year it would be Wolfgang's turn, and I would be sitting there giggling inwardly while behaving myself outwardly. But no. I won't be. It's tonight.

I'm a teacher. I teach night classes mostly. I teach tonight. I won't make the bloated ceremony of continuation pomposity, and I'm actually sorry to be missing it. I mean, c'mon, I wouldn't be going to listen to the principal drone on boringly or to sit through other such muffled orations of windiness or cringe as the readers demonstrate that they were too lazy to learn the proper pronunciations of some of the students' names. I would be going to see Wolfgang. I would be going so that he knew I was there.

But I won't be there. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

And those Thunderbirds are rattling my windows again as I type this. Trying to get me to go outside, trying to get me away from my lesson planning. "Come and look! Come and look!", they say with their afterburners.

And I hear Wolfgang saying it too, "Come and see!"
.

6 comments:

brandy101 said...

Aww :(

Well maybe this week sometime you could go out for a family dinner to celebrate with him. That would probably be more enjoyable (or at least, more delicious!) than sitting on a hard folding chair watching the ceremony.

Abby said...

Great idea, Brandy!

Judy said...

I agree - do something special this week.

Last year and in year's past, I have been able to take an hour here or an hour there to go to stuff during school hours. This year, though, our preschool is shorthanded and I haven't been able to do that.

Makes for a teacher in a GREAT mood...

terri said...

Don't let the mom guilt get to you. He understands and I'm sure it's a much bigger deal to you than it is to him. You are so there for your kids in almost every aspect. He'll forgive your absence on this one.

Missing Zygote said...

I have a plan. It involves being stealth. Are you ready.

I say go teach. And go take a long toilet break. (i.e..run (or bike if you like) like the wind, get to where the ceremony, cough loudly, get Wolfgang's attention. Wave like never before. Run back to your class and blame it on the prawns you had the night before.

*bows*
Stealth Master I am. :)

Goes by the name of Anna said...

You had me at "bloated ceremony of continuation pomposity"...