Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2026

nuptials, harvest, leadership

Labor Day weekend - the unofficial end to summer. Time to get serious.

  • We're going to head out for a coffee bike ride in a minute. I think I mentioned that I sold/donated three of my four bicycles over the last few months. Now I'm down to one. I like the simplicity of one general purpose bicycle, but also find myself wanting a new one, thinking end-of-season sales will be upon us.

Is it human nature to frequently want new, supposedly better, stuff? 

  • I worked in testing yesterday. I typically just work one shift a week there since tutoring has taken over more of my work hours, so I use that time to get caught up in anything new from testing. Recently, Daffodil had asked me to cover an upcoming shift for her, and I told her I would. Yesterday, she asked if I'd cover that same shift the following week as well.

"Whatcha doing? Anything fun?", I asked.

"We're getting all our marriage stuff finalized..." she explained.

Daffodil is in a long-term relationship - 6 years in. After telling me about the "marriage stuff", she continued,

"I guess you didn't know. We got engaged", then she held out her left hand, adorned with a complete tasteful wedding set.

I noticed it was a complete set, not just the engagement ring. Apparently, they consider themselves already married, so the "marriage stuff" they're finalizing is getting the marriage license, etc. from the courthouse. They'll have a party later "for the grandmas".

I gotta say, I love that idea. No need for lots of wedding pomp (plus expense!) and the stress that comes with it. I've met her man, and they make a strong couple. She's a very mature 27.

  • Garden tomatoes are doing their thing, ripening as fast as we can eat them. A few mutants in the harvest, but tasty.

Last night/this morning, around 4am, I heard what sounded like a little kid saying, "Hey!"  or some similar one-syllable word from outside the window. Said it three times.

I thought it was weird for a little kid to be outside at 4am. Then I figured it's probably some critter, having sex or looking for it. I remember being told that if a critter is heard at nighttime, the noise is probably from one or the other activity.

But it may have also been trying to raid the garden.

  • Lastly, in other food news, one of my tutees presented yummy homemade ginger cookies at our session. She explained that she's president of one of the student clubs, so she'd brought them for their first meeting. Good leadership skills, there!


She made dinosaur and heart cookies.

The heart didn't survive long enough for a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment