Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

gifted

I'd not thought of myself as one of those people who carries an umbrella to block the sun. But yesterday, there I was, undercover. The temperature was hovering around 100o .


I was thankful to have that umbrella as the full onslaught of sun was bearing down as I waited for the bus to go to work. My pick up stop has a bench, and nothing more. 

The all-black backpack is no help to beat the heat. 

But, we're surviving, and I don't mean to complain. In fact, this is meant to be an appreciation post, starting with my appreciation for that umbrella and the ease of taking the bus on my short work commute on inclement weather days.




We got some welcome rain overnight, which didn't cool things down much, but we always need the moisture. I had a lovely jog around the neighborhood this morning, appreciative of the overcast skies.


I came across these two friends, living the good life.


The summer semester is wrapping up. POOF, ten weeks of frenzied activity. Tensions are a bit high among the tutees, working hard to keep their heads above water for about one more week. 



One such tutee end-of-semester-gift-ed me a [lovely Japanese mechanical pencil]. What a nice and unexpected surprise.

Now, I realize some may think a mechanical pencil is a strange gift, but I can attest to the fact that it is a wonderfully fitting item for a math tutor.

Well done, Tutee!



I've learned that this particular pencil is a fave among mechanical pencil aficionados. 

I've happily added it to my pencil case as part of my everyday carry in the aforementioned backpack.

The fuzzy thing in the background of the pencil pic is our cat - Napolion The Skinny. Can you see his butt bones?

I have begun giving him a daily can of kitten food, which he loves. It also makes him the envy of all other pets in the house. 




12 comments:

  1. That is a very thoughtful gift from your tutee! I love the path that you jogged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a particularly nice portion of the path - nice easterly views, plus it's downhill 😊

      Delete
  2. Nice gift. Hey Abby - it is hot all over the world right night!! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Southern hemisphere is having winter, so might be a good time to visit there! But yeah, it's hotter in other places than where we are. Just gotta ride it out.

      Delete
  3. I rarely use a pencil but I think I would enjoy one like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use mechanical pencils daily, and this one is a thoughtful addition to the pack.

      Delete
  4. It was 118 Today and I felt every degree of it coz it's Monsoon Season and so we had Humidity too... ugh, Humidity is The Devil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 118, yeesh! We've apparently entered monsoon season as well. With luck, it'll bring rain.

      Delete
  5. You must be a great tutor!

    It's amazing how much difference a little bit of shade can make on a really hot day. That's my one complaint about our house/yard; we have practically no shade.

    I'm glad your kitty likes the kitten food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will cross the street multiple times to get the most shady walking route.

      Delete
  6. Nice gift! Do you have humidity with your 100degrees? I always thought of Co. as dry. but what do I know in humid North Carolina? Now promise not to laugh. If I write I only use pencils. I don't have fancy ones like you but just Bic Mechanical. I prefer pencils over all things even typing. I'm a weirdo, I know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's mostly a dry heat, but we've entered monsoon season which can be muggy. Probably not as much as NC, though!
      Pencil Peggy - we learned a fun fact about you!

      Delete