Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2026

ghost bike, pensive pets, alcohol fail

I was thinking I might go for a quick bicycle jaunt to the library, but it's sunny and 97 degrees, so i said "nah". I realize 97 doesn't sound so bad to many, but here, it's a whine worthy temperature. I opted to stay here in my dark house, measuring 77 degrees. No need to turn on the AC just yet.

We did get out for a coffee walk earlier, so I haven't been totally holed up like a cavewoman. 

SOURCE


  • Speaking of bicycle jaunts, [a woman bicyclist was killed] last week in a local traffic mishap. I've been following the story as it happened at an intersection undergoing a construction project. I had biked through the area about an hour before the tragic accident.

So far, from everything I've heard about it, the woman did everything right. She dismounted her bicycle, she was led through the intersection by one of the construction workers. Still, she was hit by one of the trucks involved in the project. So strange.

There's an ongoing investigation. Bottom line, she's gone.



  • I happened to be in that area because I was feeding Wolfgang's cat again last week. Wolfgang and Meego traveled to California to visit my in-laws. Chaco was there too as he had come out for a little over two weeks and had a preplanned trip to visit his CA friends.

Ella on a walk,
prior to the dreaded BOOMs



Meanwhile, we were the pet sitters. Chaco's dog, Ella, stayed with us. She does NOT like fireworks.

Fireworks are illegal here, especially in lieu of half the state currently being on fire. But that never stops the criminals.

So it was nice to spend some time with Chaco. A lot of his time was spent working at his local office and visiting friends, but we got quality time in as well.




  • The five of us did make it up to Helms Deep - our property in the hills. Helms Deep is what we call it, so that's it's real name as well as it's blog name, so be it.

It was nice having the extra muscle to do some trail bustin'. We haven't been up since because... well... whining about the heat again.

  • Lastly, Magnum and I have proven, once again, that we are failures at alcoholism. We had somehow amassed a collection of undrunk beers - bottles and cans. We just don't drink the stuff at home. Some of it was leftover from potlucks that ended up at our house. Others, we'd bought thinking we'd drink it. Pffft.

I pondered if there was a way to donate it, but food pantries don't accept alcoholic beverages. I mentioned it at work yesterday, wondering if maybe the college food pantry would take it. But we're pretty sure they wouldn't. Then Party Girl mentioned her drinking running group had an upcoming camping trip and would gladly take the cans. Problem solved!



We also had a few bottles of Modelo in stash. I checked the expiry date - November of freaking 2024?!

Down the hatch drain.

That's the end of the two years beers.

 


9 comments:

  1. Before I had Two Alcoholic grown Kids living with us we might have any alcohol for years that were left over from BBQ's where we'd make some available for Friends who drink. I am an intentional failure at Alcoholism since my Native American Dad forewarned me that the Fire Water was a scourge to his People and I know I'm a mean Drunk with a low tolerance for both the alcohol and anyone irritating me when I'm under any influence. *smiles* Yes, 97 can be brutal if you have high humidity too. We're coping with 115-117 now and the Monsoon Season upon us so we stay inside almost all the time now coz the extreme Heat Advisories. You might venture out before 8 am but after that you risk spontaneous combustion. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, the 115-117 you Arizonans deal with is rough!
      Good that you know your alcohol limitations. It seemed wasteful dumping that old beer, but at least Party Girl can take the fresher stuff.

      Delete
  2. Even with an escort the biking woman got taken out!!! what a weird thing to have happen.
    We are given bottles of wine frequently, They are consumed at christmas time by the younger family members...We don't drink , gives Dennis too much blood sugar and gives me a headache- even the high rent wine! Must be allergic.
    Glad your beer found a party to go to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bicycle/construction zone story is strange. She was a former nurse and current middle school math and science teacher - not some hooligan crashing through a construction site.
      Off to offload some beers...

      Delete
  3. Bottles don't last long in our house. My uncle, though, had some ancient and very peculiar/particular bottles in his stash. I think he collected them when travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your uncle was, no doubt, more knowledgeable than me.
      We do have a couple of remaining bottles of wine. Party Girl, strangely, doesn't like wine. If only you lived closer :)

      Delete
  4. It's been pretty hot here too! I don't complain about the heat much but I hate keeping the house dark! I realize it's necessary to keep the ac bill from going through the roof but I love a light flooded room! Poor Ella being afraid of the Booms! Fireworks are legal here in MI and on the 4th of July every neighborhood was filled with booms and smoke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're just a few miles away from the border of Wyoming, where "anything goes" as far as fireworks, year round. We heard plenty, but I don't know of any fires or mishaps.

      Delete
  5. That would never happen in this house! Now, we have some older beers that we personally don't want to drink but we have bottle shares often enough we rotate through the old junk. My beer fridge is full from our travels now but it'll be gone in a few months, methinks.

    ReplyDelete