Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

working for it

In a rare situation for me, I'm blogging from a Starbucks™. I took my little Toyota in for its annual oil change and decided to wait for it nearby rather than schlep back home - about 2 miles. Typically, the shop  calls and tells me the car's ready shortly after I get home, leaving me to just turn around and schlep on back.

So now that I've decided to wait for it nearby, they'll probably not get to it for hours. Yes, this is an annual event for the car and me since I drive it so infrequently and not very far. Even so, I haven't met the suggested oil change mileage.  It seems I've driven about 1,000 miles since last summer's service. Honestly, sometimes, I drive it around just to keep myself in practice.

Today, being Juneteenth - a federal holiday - the college, including the testing center, is closed. I am typically off on Wednesdays anyway, so nothing out of the ordinary for me. As is typical in the summertime, our customer numbers are relatively low. 

The testing center is part of the college, but also operates as its own entity. We administer tests for students with approved accommodations, but also provide a whole lotta "high stakes" tests - professional licenses and certifications. So summers are mostly those professional tests.

It's been slow as far as volume of customers goes, but seems like we've had a lot of high maintenance tests lately, making it feel like we're busy as ever. Expecting to be able to kick back a bit at work, but being faced with these work demands during summertime reminds me of a meme I came across recently:


I've only got one tutee currently, and I'm not complaining. I rather like having the mellow workload during these summer days. I tried reading a particular book, but it was horrible. I saw advertisements for the movie "[The Idea of You]". It's based on a book, so I erroneously figured, "It was made into a movie, so it's probably a good book"

Wrong!

I kept reading, however, because I figured, "It was made into a movie, so it's probably going to get better".

Wrong!

So I stopped the insanity and am now reading a much better book. 

Okay, it's now been over an hour since I dropped off the car, and I'm thinking of heading on home - the obligatory coffee I purchased, rather unappealing with over half remaining. As a bonus, however, the  "heat wave" is taking a break here in these parts. It's a lovely morning for schlepping up the hill. 


6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

The red flag is a good one! I seem to always make that error.
why read a book if it does not grab you right away- so many books to choose from! I can never decide so I wait until one falls into my lap. None have fallen lately.
It is levi jacket weather up here but the sun is shining!

Chatty Crone said...

I like what the flag says too.
You sure don't drive much - your car will last forever!
We are at the mercies of the mechanics!
It's hot here in Atlanta.

BootsandBraids said...

The Idea of You is not a book I would read, but I did watch the movie on Prime and loved it so much that I've watched it about a dozen times since, and can watch it a dozen more. Love the music and the theme. Don't like the ex-husband, but liked his homewrecker girlfriend. Thought she was sweet and would have taken her up on her offer to meet for Thai food when she was breaking up with Daniel, Solene's ex.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I end up with a lot of books in the DNF pile. No apologies.
Ooh, sunshine! Good for battling the covid, I hear.

Chatty, my driving has significantly reduced in recent years. I don't know about forever, but the car's lasted this long!

BootsandBraids, you're the third person now to tell me that they liked the movie - one had "tried" reading the book, but also couldn't finish it. So there's hope. I assume the movie has better dialogue? I never got far enough into the book to meet the homewrecker girlfriend.

Liz Hinds said...

Love the meme. I no longer feel guilty when I don't finish a book so good on you.

Allstarme79 said...

We have had nice morning to midday temps and a great breeze lately, and yet, my phone keeps telling me we have an excessive heat warning. I'm starting to think the weather is becoming propaganda like the news! It really has NOT been that hot.