Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2022

triflings

Happy June!  Sun is shining, plants are blooming, birds are chirping. Speaking of plants, here's a quick George update.  Magnum got and installed some support stakes.


 Each stake is bigger than George himself. I think it looks like some sort of torture apparatus from a tribe of cannibalistic savages in our front yard, but it's doing the job.

In other news, my coworker, Martha of chucking-everything-and-retiring-to-Mexico fame has possibly contracted covid, so is out for the week. She had a possible exposure, then her husband tested positive. So although Martha's first two tests came back negative, she's thinking she's probably got it by now. 

I'm kind of surprised we've dodged it so far, Martha being the first case at the office. Not complaining, though.

Magnum and I are planning a short getaway trip later this week, so sorry if Boss wants me to fill in for Martha at week's end.  I did cover for her yesterday, so I'm still a team player, right?  I'm not sure what our covid protocols at work are at this point. 

One of Meego's friends was travelling in London when she tested positive and just needed to test every day. She was allowed to travel back once her test showed negative. At least it's the slow season at work, and I'm sure the others can handle the workload.  Isn't "every" place short staffed?

In other news, we watched a bad movie. It wasn't awful as it had some good messages, but I felt the bad outweighed the good.  The movie was "Grandma" with Lily Tomlin as a crotchety and rude old woman who helps her teenaged granddaughter procure money to have an abortion.  Seen it?

I got tired of Lily Tomlin's character's crotchety rudeness.  I don't find that entertaining, but rather annoying, and that was her chief character trait.  It was probably meant to be funny.  Otherwise, I guess the casting was good, but I'm a stickler for details and a couple of further annoying things:

  • In a scene where Grandma is getting a tattoo, the tattoo machine is absolutely silent, and there's very little wiping going on.  I think even people who have never seen a tattoo done know that tattoo machines make a constant buzzing sound when tattooing.
    *upon a second viewing of the tattoo scene with earbuds, I discovered the machine DOES make a faint buzzing noise that my TV speakers didn't get to my ears. Still too quiet, though. Maybe just my crotchety, rude, old ears...

  • Another scene - granddaughter pukes in the kitchen sink (preggars, remember?).  Then she continues her conversation with Grandma, and they leave the kitchen. So I'm all "Dude!  Rinse the freaking sink, sheesh!" I mean, who wouldn't rinse the sink??

So I guess that's my week that was. A tree looking tortured, a covid coworker, and a mediocre movie. I'm grateful for all of it.

7 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Thank you for that, life is too short to watch crap movies.I saw a good one last night on Prime- "Flag Day" from the book "Flim flam man".
George is looking happy so far. Winter may send him in to a bit of a shock.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, thanks for the recommendm Flag Day looks good!
At least Grandma was a relatively short movie - about 90 mins. And I think I nodded off a bit, so not a total waste.

betty said...

I think George is looking great!! Seems like you planted him in a good spot! Here's hoping no one in the office gets Covid. Just take a few extra vitamin C to build up that immune system! Doesn't sound like a good movie at all! If I see it coming across my feed, not knowing how you watched/streamed it, I'll be sure to avoid it! I was watching "Pieces of a Woman" on Netflix at work the other day. I had 24 minutes left in it and about that same amount of time left in my workday when the employee who talks up a storm decided to come and visit me and talk up a storm. I was a bit put out, lol, wanting to finish the movie. Oh well, that will be tomorrow :)

betty

Abby said...

Betty, oh, the at-work storm talkers!
I noticed a neighbor couple out for a walk looking at George. Couldn't tell if they thought, "nice tree" or "those poles are huge!"

Jeanette said...

I'm so glad you posted about that movie. I've been a fan of Lily Tomlin for a long time and loved her in Grace and Frankie but the content of the movie is not something I really want to see!

Abby said...

Jeanette, I've not watched Grace and Frankie, but I generally like Lily Tomlin. Her Grandma character was just annoying an abrasive, though. She can do better.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OMG this made me laugh. I started Grandma but i didn't like it so never finished. But your comments on what you didn't see or hear made me laugh because I too do those things. I also wear my headset at times and hear a lot more background. I swear our TV speakers are just shit. I can't wait to hook up my sound bar again!! It really helps. Think about it - the speakers are little and in the back against the wall so how could we possibly hear well? I say that as if I'm not 66. LOL