Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2022

hot and spicy

"Driving the struggle bus through toasty town!" another runner commented regarding running in the heat this morning.  

It's hot outside.  Need to get up really early to beat the heat, and I (and the struggle bus driver) was not up that early. No duck pics today as even the ducks kept a low profile along the creek. But it wasn't unbearable, and I know the heat wave is worse for many others. We're noticing the payoff of the new windows and blinds we got last December. We don't have AC, and have been able to keep the house relatively cool without it.

It was a good week and nice to be back from our hippie adventure. In addition to learning about earthships, we stopped for a bit of Colorado lore in San Luis - the oldest town in Colorado, established in 1851. San Luis is a very small town with a few hundred residents in a poor part of the state. In college, I was friends with a girl from San Luis. She was a "tough chick". These days, she's a high school teacher, so good she's tough.



San Luis' most famous attraction is the Stations of the Cross Shrine, so we had to stop and check it out. The attraction features a trail that makes its way to the Cathedral with each station depicted in bronze sculptures along the way. The trail is dirt, but not very steep, and less than a mile long.

We enjoyed the stop, it's nicely done and well  maintained. We are not anything close to being devout Catholics, but I definitely felt a certain sacredness while there. Others we saw along the trail were very quiet and respectful.



When I was growing up, my mom was friends with a nice and very Catholic Italian woman - Mrs. Valentine.  Mrs. Valentine was an excellent seamstress, and my mom would often bring clothes needing altering to Mrs. V.

The ladies would sit and visit, and if I tagged along, I was given books or such to look at if I didn't bring my own. Visiting the Stations of the Cross Shrine brought back memories of being at Mrs. V's house and coming across graphic depictions of the stations of the cross - likely not meant for a child!


Anyway, if you ever find yourself in San Luis, CO with about an hour or so to kill, I recommend a visit to the shrine.

In other touristy activity, we walked along the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.  We crossed the bridge on our way to the earthships. It sits 650 feet above the river. It's no secret here that I'm not a fan of heights, so the views from the bridge were impressively horrendous for me.



I managed to let go of the railing long enough to snap a pic, which really doesn't do a great job of depicting the depth of the gorge.


Sadly, the bridge is apparently a "popular" place for suicides. Lots of suicide hotline info and little memorials along the way.


The American Institute of Steel Construction awarded the bridge "The Most Beautiful Bridge" in the long span category.



So that about rounds up our little trip to the Taos area. I'd never been there before, although it's quite close to where I grew up. The town of Taos is pretty small - lots of adobe houses and shops - with little galleries and touristy gift shop type places.  Need a kachina doll? Taos is your place!

We had to sample the local Mexican food. There is quite the rivalry between the state of New Mexico and the town of Pueblo, CO for the BEST green chilies. I've had some Pueblo green chili, and it's delish. Now I've had Taos green chili, and found it also to be delish, but a different delish from Pueblo delish. 

Either way, it's all delish. 


7 comments:

betty said...

I never had green chili until we lived in Santa Fe and I really came to like it! I always asked for it on the side (which spotted me as a visitor, not a native lol) and I would dole it out on my food sparingly but it really was so delicious!

Wow that is impressive that you can get by without AC and a definite improvement since you got the new windows!

I'm not fond of heights either so I would not have enjoyed crossing that bridge. We have visited a few over the years and I tend to walk in the middle of them if possible and then I'm still freaking out :)

To avoid any type of heat while exercising I think people have to get up before 5 a.m. (it starts getting light around then). Walking Winslow this past weekend around 6 a.m. it was already 85 degrees out!

Stay hydrated!

betty

Lorraine said...

Wow, what a cool place! I thought you were in another country. My grandmother was a devout Catholic and had statues on her dresser that I used to stare at, thinking they were beautiful. I think that's where I got my fascination with religious objects. I sold so many on ebay and then realized I never kept any. Recently there was a rummage sale at the church where my husband works as the groundskeeper and I bought some things for myself, just because. I'm not religious at all, but I appreciate religious art. You are brave to go on that bridge!

Abby said...

Betty, Ha! Yes, you outed yourself by asking for green chili on the side. Keeping the house from turning into an oven takes attention and timing for opening/closing windows and blinds, etc. All while keeping the cat from making a great escape. We do have fans and a 1-room evaporative cooler, but I do notice improvement with these new windows and blinds.

Clamco, it's nice that you appreciate the religious art, even if not religious yourself. Exactly my feelings while visiting that shrine. I was glad to get off that bridge!

Jeanette said...

Looks like an awesome place to visit! I hear you on the heights of that bridge. The view looks fantastic, but my knees would be knocking so I wouldn't stay on it for long!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OH I grew up Italian American and Catholic and I've seen all those photos of the station of the cross. That comment made me laugh Abby.

I would love to taste the differences in chilis from Pueblo CO and New Mexico. Those are 2 areas I have never been. And that gorge looks deep enough - Heights like that scare me a bit!

Abby said...

Jeanette, I know, right? And the knee knocking isn't the best thing when trying to be still on a high bridge!

Abby said...

Peggy, I vividly remember being in some back room at Mrs. V's looking at lots of blood and gore and Jesus!