Pages

Monday, April 11, 2022

trippin' with Penny

The dogs have an appointment at the vet's later this week for some vaccines.   I've mentioned how Merlin turns all junkyard dog when strangers come to the house, but he's a perfect gentleman at the vet's.

Penny, on the other hand, is fine with people coming over, but is a ball of anxiety at the vet's.  Worst of both worlds with those two.  At Penny's last appointment, the vet suggested giving her some chill pills - a.k.a. Trazodone - for future visits.



I picked up the pills last week, and the instructions are to start giving them three days out.  Really?  Oh well.  Gave her one this morning, and no apparent ill effects.  This is her this afternoon.

Honestly, she often looks like this when lounging around the house, particularly after coming in after being out in the sun.  But she might be? a bit more relaxed than usual.  I just hope it  mellows her out for the vet.  We shall see.



Yesterday, we took the dogs for a good walk, and when we came back, Penny looked a bit stoned.  This was before we'd given her any Trazodone, mind you.  

Our walk took us onto the nearby high school grounds, and she slurped some little thing into her mouth and down before we could stop her.  I was looking at her when we got back home, and her eyes were all squinty.  Really, her eyes made her look like she was trippin', but she was otherwise her usual self.

Heaven knows what all's laying around the ground at the high school.  



On Saturday, I'd been bicycling home by the school and saw there was a baseball game in progress.  I don't follow baseball at all, at any level.  But I've tutored a few nice high school baseballers - and softballers too for that matter.  

Scholarships to be had.  

I recently drew this kid, feeling like some springtime movement.   

Pencils to be dulled.





7 comments:

Linda Sue said...

trazadone? Wow , that was prescribed for me, just half a tab when i had surgery and could not sleep. Half a tab put my lights out!
Love your drawing, the gals got skills!!!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, yup. Trazodone. Never tried it myself. I hope the dosage is correct for a 25 lb. dog?

betty said...

I googled Trazodone for dogs and it is supposed to be really good to help calm anxiety and the article said it should kick in 1-2 hours after taken and it stops working 24 hours after taken. Makes no sense why they had you start it a few days before the visit. Maybe so you can assess what affect it had on Penny? I find it interesting that there are lots of medicine we humans take that dogs can take with no problems. Our other corgi, Koda, had cancer and was treated with chemo with the same drugs a human would get with no side effects.

Anyway, I hope the Trazodone does work to calm Penny down. Nothing more stressful than taking a stressed dog to the vet.

Great drawing of the baseball player!! You truly are talented with your drawings!

betty

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wow. That seems a bit much for a little dog. Those knock me down for the count!! A benadryl the day if wouldn't have done it? Can you imagine how confusing they must be? No idea why they feel $#@% up. 😉

Abby said...

Betty, I wondered about starting the Trazodone days before Penny's appointment. I'm doing it this time so we can watch how she reacts to it. She seems her usual self, and the true test will be at the vet's.

Peggy, her dose is 50mg twice a day for the Trazodone, and I'm trusting the vet on that. Maybe benadryl? I've never tried that on a dog.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, oh I'm sure your vet knows more than me!
I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just know how they knocked me out! All dogs but mine seem to do well on Benadryl. Baby size. Knocks them out for car rides etc. It made my dog hyper when my vet suggested it for her first 4 hr drive. my neighbor used it for the vet as well. I hope he makes it through the vet appointment Poor baby! https://www.goellevet.com/product/calm-and-comfort-for-dogs/

Abby said...

Peggy, thanks for the link! And no, I wasn't dissing your comment. I have never used calming drugs on any dog, so I'm ignorant of them and just trusting the vets! I don't like to give drugs if they're harmful (naturally), but I hate seeing Penny all anxious so figured I'd give the Trazodone a go.