Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

from my cold dead hands

Like many others, we're in a deep freeze.  We've had a few inches of snow to go along with it, but for the most part, it's almost "too cold to snow".

Back when we lived and worked in upstate NY, some new-college hires joined my work group and a couple of them were from California.  They'd never seen snow before and were intrigued at their first "real" winter.  

It did take a while for them to acclimate as I remember them wearing long johns under their work clothes and whatnot.  During one particularly cold stretch, Lucy commented that she thought there would be more snow with such low temperatures, to which a seasoned upstater commented, 

"Nah, it's too cold to snow".

Lucy became incredulous that "too cold to snow" was a thing.  To this day, I think of her huge-eyed reaction every time it's too cold to snow.  

Despite our current low temperatures and the work of dealing with it, I felt restless (it's a day off work for me) and went out to be among the people.  I went to the university library to maybe get a book, but really, it was just an excuse to get out.  I know agoraphobia is a real condition, and sometimes I wonder if I have its opposite?  Would that be "goraphobia"?  ( I googled, that's not a word).  Recall that agoraphobia is...

ag·o·ra·pho·bi·a
/ˌaɡərəˈfōbēə/
noun
extreme or irrational fear of entering open or crowded places, of leaving one's own home, or of being in places from which escape is difficult.

What if I crave open or crowded places?  Leaving my home?  That "from which escape is difficult" does not apply to me, however.

Well, I wouldn't categorize my restlessness as "extreme or irrational", so I'm not concerned.  And I don't hate my home, either.  I'm just not much of a homebody, I suppose. 

One upside of campus mask mandates is a lessened chance of being recognized by any of Meego's friends who know me when I escape to the university campus.  God forbid we  have, "Hey, Meego.  Yur MOM's at school...", poor guy.


And really, it's actually quite pretty out, if one is dressed for it.  




4 comments:

Linda Sue said...

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/no-bad-weather-only-bad-clothes/
Norwegians go out in every kind of weather and look forward to the most challenging weather- can't wait for winter!!
Norwegians are insane.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, those gnarly Norwegians - inspiring!... or not.

betty said...

That is pretty! I have heard that expression "it is too cold to snow" probably when we lived in Montana, lol. Like the Norwegians, those living in Billings, Montana got out in all kinds of weather. They would bundle their babies in two or three onesies plus all their regular baby clothes and have tons of blankets in their car seats. I commented when we were checking in the babies in the church nursery or changing their diapers and seeing the layers of clothing about how much clothing and whatnot they wore but the experienced old timers said the moms had to do that if they wanted to get out. Otherwise they were stuck at home until spring. I could see they probably had a bit of your "restlessness" too. I always prefer to be at home, but sometimes there is that "itch" to get out and do something, even if it is just walking the mall or similar.

So did you get a book?

We are cold here. Nothing like your cold but colder than we are used to. We have acclimated the other way. We are used to the hot summer weather and have adapted to that but now the cold really feels cold :)

Stay safe and warm!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I love when the sun comes out on these cold, crisp days. I understand the Montana moms and the baby layers. Gotta get out sometimes! I don't know if I could acclimate to Arizona summers, but the place sounds appealing right now!
And no, I didn't even find a book, but it was still a worthwhile outing 😊