Pages

Monday, December 20, 2021

we could spend some conversations

I've been in a tidying mood for some reason. Finally started dealing with a bit of clutter in a clutter magnet corner.   When we moved into this house, it was to be only a temporary stay, but we ended up buying the place.

We were looking for a house, the landlord wanted to sell, the stars aligned.  The place needed and still needs some TLC after having been a rental for several years.  We've made baby steps - literally starting with new interior stairs, and then adding a new exterior paint job. Windows are half paid for and supposedly going to happen in January.

 On Friday, we got a new garage door opener as the other decrepit one finally gave up the ghost.  Such joy from a new garage door opener.  Now, about these appliances...

All that tidying and home improvement aside, I am looking forward to the upcoming winter break.  This is the last week at work, and we are closing early on Thursday.  Last Friday, my four coworkers and I managed a quick white elephant gift swap during a short lull in business.  I ended up with a dartboard?  I'm tempted to leave it at work so we can use it there to vent our frustrations.

So I'll have a little over a week off.  Last year, when I was working at the nursing home, there's  no break in the action.  Many residents didn't know one year from the next, let alone holidays.  I miss some of them and some of my coworkers there, but I don't miss the 24/7/365 of the place.

No major plans for the time off other than  to get together with our grown kids on Christmas day.  

I'm sure we'll think of something, but I'm looking forward to some lazy days and days lost to the sketchbook.

Did this sketch yesterday thinking about the upcoming downtime.  It's generally agreed that, when drawing people, the most difficult parts are feet, face, and hands.

See what I did there?  Strategic avoidance.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up (late) with Mama Kat for the prompt:

1. Tell us about something you are looking forward to.


10 comments:

Linda Sue said...

wow Abby, I love your drawing! That would have taken me the better part of a month to draw and it would still be a stick figure! Very good , very nic, shadows and folds , so excellent1
You will enjoy your time off I am sure even if it is "work". Covid changed everything workwise for my son, an industrial designer- working from home for the company for the past two years, more efficient , more productive but the company wants to get everyone back into the building to "control" them? The designers are saying "No thank you" some are leaving.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, aw thanks. And you are clearly an artist if there ever was one!
I've heard of employers trying to get their workers back to the office after working remotely because of COVID. Lots of pushback for valid reasons!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Your art is so damn good!! Ah, to have a talent like this! I would draw all the time. Instead, I can color. 😉 Enjoy the down time while you have it. Fixing our home is a never-ending thing since we moved in and I am certain it will go on for years. But over this holiday I am going to down some fattening homemade eggnog and just enjoy the fact that I have nowhere to go.

Abby said...

Peggy, thanks, you're really too kind. I'm thankful to have such a cheap therapy/hobby.
Home fix-up really is a never-ending saga. But then, we get those little joys for now, like the garage door actually opening when we want it to.

ShadowRun300 said...

Happy almost Holidays to you and your family! Nice you can appreciate the not 24/7/365. Sometimes you have to work them to appreciate not working them. :)
I, on the other hand, will be working them all. Im happy to do it since it means my managers can spend time with their young families. I’ve had my chance to do that.
And I totally agree with the others… your artwork is amazing. Can’t wait to see what you draw during your time off!

Abby said...

SR300, thanks and yup, you know the 24/7/365! Happy Holidays to you and yours :)

betty said...

I love your drawing! I actually like that the face isn't drawn on. People can interpret the picture the way they want. Like she is eagerly waiting for someone, or she is very fatigued, or she is catching her breath, etc etc. You are a good artist!! I hope you sketch a lot during your time off! I always think it is better to have time off after Christmas than before it. Too much rushing around beforehand. Afterwards, things slow down and that is when one can be relaxed and do what they want, like in your case drawing!

It is always good to work through clutter. Since my hubby has been retired and at home, he has made the dining room table a place for clutter. Grrr. I'm going to have to work on him to work on it in the new year :)

Our house was a rental before we bought it. They can be a little hard on things I think. We need to do the replacing of this and that too. Windows and painting are on our agenda for the new year here and at our rental (which technically isn't a rental since son and his family live there; I'm sure you can guess the rest of that story :)

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!! Enjoy your time with your family and your time off of work!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, Merry Christmas to you too, and thanks for your interpretations. I enjoy drawing faces if I'm ONLY drawing the face, but not on a whole person.

Yesterday, I had a small victory in cleaning the oven. It wasn't cleaned before we moved in, and I'm thinking a lot of animals went through it!

KatBouska said...

Wow! I never graduated from stick figures so that sketch looks amazing even without hands. I'm glad you're at a job that can give you breaks. I know you loved the people you worked with, but it's not worth your sanity when the work is nonstop like that. I hope you get a ton of projects done and also sleep in and also enjoy quiet time with your sketchbook and maybe a bike ride.

Abby said...

Kat, thanks and happy holidays to you!