Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

home stretch

Last weekend, the running club held its December tortoise and hare race.  This one, a 6K so ~ 3.75 miles.  I found myself... among the finish line photos.  Like this one, resembling a partially formed twin growing out of green-shirt-guy's neck.


The morning was breezy, but unseasonably warm and sunny.  T-shirts and shorts in December?  Bare hands and ears?

By the afternoon, the winds had blown some system in, plummeting temperatures into the 20s.  That prompted me to dig our Christmas decorations out of their dormancy and get a few up and out - our house no longer the bah-humbugest on the block.

In other news, I've been looking into consulting a speech therapist.  I don't have a lisp, my r's don't sound like w's, I don't stutter.  But I sometimes have bouts of what I've learned is "vocal cord dysfunction", been dealing with it, infrequently, for years.  I thought it was maybe exercise induced asthma, but nope, all signs point to VCD.  I'm glad of that because it's usually treated without medication, but rather exercises with a speech therapist.

I haven't searched that much, but the ones near me I've found that take our insurance typically just work with children on forming proper speech patterns and such or work with old folks who've had strokes, etc.

What about us middle-of-the-packers?



2 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby I have never heard of VCD before. As you know from reading me as a child I had a speech therapist for many years. but for some reason I would think you'd see an ENT for this. Whomever you see I wish you great success. Do you get chest pains with this too? Or is it just a feeling of no air like asthma?

Abby said...

Peggy, yes, I know you'd gained success with a speech therapist as a child. Before working at the nursing home, I thought they primarily worked with kids, but they were a big part of our operation in dealing with residents with dysphagia (trouble swallowing).

I'd never heard of VCD before either until I looked into ways to treat exercise induced asthma. I don't get chest pains, but the throat closes somewhat making it work to get air in, and I'm unable to speak for a while. I understand that with asthma, it's hard to get air out and is felt in the chest. Internet says speech therapy :/