Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

can I run the trace of your mind

Christmas is a wrap.

We had a nice one here with the brood.  The kids are all currently single, so it was a low-key fivesome plus three dogs and a disgruntled cat.  We opened some cards and gifts, ate, walked the pooches, played some boardgames... a good day was had.

Magnum and I don't gift each other. If we want something, we buy it, no matter the date.  I'm too much of a noncomformist to make a list or such *shivers*.  But we do get SOMEthing for each of the kids to open on Christmas day.  It gets harder every year.

In my recent tidyings, I did come across someone's gift from years ago:  a GoPro camera.  I dusted it off, woke it up, and bought a bicycle mount for it to use as a sort of "dashcam".  I found a handful of skateboarding videos on it and determined it was Wolfgang's.  Don't tell him I've made it mine 🙊

I took it for a test drive on Christmas Eve.  Once I put it on, I noticed that the brake cables on Violet sit right in front of the best placement for the camera, but didn't obscure much in the end result.


Don't worry, I don't plan on turning this blog into a record of boring bicycle commuting videos.  

Other commuters I know use cameras to catalog abuse from motorists, but I manage to avoid those scenarios *knock on wood*.  Respect goes both ways.



Here's a test run snippet.  I found a generic app on my computer for editing and set it to Mozart for hopeful increase in entertainment value.


We're scheduled tomorrow to begin our new window install - replacing every window in the house.  Ooh, a makeover!  It will probably the coldest day of the year, our luck.

The impending window install did spur me to take down the paltry Christmas decorations I'd put up.  So there's that.

Onward to 2022!



9 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh how nice to have new windows! Here in the south, if you replace your old windows, they have to be hurricane certified and they cost a fortune!

Abby said...

Clamco, I'm looking forward to the new windows. I think the ones we have now are the originals from 1980-something. "hurricane certified"? Glad to have never heard of/ dealt with that!

John Holton said...

We don't buy each other gifts anymore, and haven't for years. She has no idea what I want and vice versa, so we just buy things and thank the other person. It's easier that way.

Happy New Year!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, I loved the video and what stands out to me is - 1. those look like snow clouds to me. and 2. that there was a bike lane the whole way. Unheard of except for a park or short distance around these parts. We too don't do the gift thing for the same reason. Last year we bought ourselves a new tv we so wanted so we called it our Xmas present because we got it on black Friday. :-)

Abby said...

John, several couples I know that have been in it for "the long haul" don't bother with gifts. No pressure. Happy New Year to you and Mary!

Peggy, those clouds were just teasing us, we're still waiting for decent snow. And yessss! That's bike lane all the way. Fort Collins is extremely bicycle friendly.

Linda Sue said...

We,too, are scheduled for new windows mid January, for godsake!! They say timing is everything, I believe them...We have so much snow right now and will be getting more through the week. We are paralyzed but I don't mind all .

Abby said...

Linda Sue, y'all got a boatload of snow up there! We could use lots of it. Happy windowing!

betty said...

Oh gosh, please do blog about the window install. Tell the good, the bad, the ugly about it because, like I said before, it is on our agenda to do this year and I want to know how bad it will be!

I liked the video! You did speed it up though, right? Does it worry you to be riding your bike with all the crazy drivers out there? Or is Phoenix the only place with crazy drivers? Good use of the GoPro and really, if you did do videos of bike commutes, I would watch them :)

Glad you had a nice Christmas! Low key spent with family is the best way to spend the day I do believe!!

Happy New Year!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I'll let you know how the window install goes. We've done it before at a previous house, and things went smoothly. No guarantees with this one, though!

Yes, the video is sped up :). In my experience, crazy drivers are everywhere,