Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2021

something strange in your neighborhood

It makes sense that we call the current season "Fall".  I totally get it now.  

I was out enjoying a lovely run this morning, before sunrise.  Best time of day, right?  The trees and their ancestors cohorted to take me out.

I was loping along this particular section of sidewalk, a particular section I've walked and jogged many a time before.  But the trees, they had it in for me 

The lovely sidewalk in the friendly daylight

It was early morning, it was dark.  There are streetlights interspersed along the road, but those Ash trees are so good and providing shade...

Then there's the friendly fences that create a nice boundary between the public and private properties.  The trees talked to the fence... or the fence talked to the trees.  I dunno, but whoever's idea it was, I bit it.

I was moving along my merry way down the sidewalk, had entered the under-canopy of those tree friends.  I could make my way just fine in the temporary darkness.  Then,

wham-blam! (or something like that).  I was on the ground.

Realizing I was no longer upright, I sought the reason.  Oh fine, a slat from a section of fence had broken free and landed crosswise in the sidewalk.  A ghost of trees past, it's the only explanation.  My knobby knees and knobby shoulder we're its main victims.


In the end, no real harm done.  Coupla skinned knees, little shoulder abrasion, and a slightly tweaked rib near my right boob/underarm (heaven knows I've not got a lot of padding in that particular region). I got up and finished runnin' the route and took the "poor me" photo of the knee wounds when I got home.  

Have a nice trip, see ya next fall!

Coulda been a lot worse... as in... so glad no one saw me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

6. Write about a time you thought there was a ghost.



7 comments:

Patty Sparano said...

Wow!

As you stated, glad that this wasn't worse, Abby. Very scary situation.

Run in broad daylight, kiddo! Those ash trees have kind of a sinister look about them!

Stay Safe!

Abby said...

Patty, yes it's those sinister trees! It happened so fast, I didn't have time to be scared. Then I mainly worried if anyone saw me. Darkness was a blessing AND a curse.

John Holton said...

Ouch! It hurts just to look at your knees. I'm glad it was minor.

Abby said...

John, knees are better already :)

BootsandBraids said...

Oh WOW. Glad no serious damage.

Abby said...

BootsandBraids, me too. I'm going to take the other side of the street next dark morning.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Glad it was your knees and not your teeth!
HOpe you're feeling better by now