Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

just bought two houses

Now that we've sold a house, the task of finding a new home remains.  Not gonna lie, I'm not thrilled at the thought of moving again.  Although we're not in a hurry, we did pop into an open house over the weekend.  A new listing popped up, and we had nothing better to do, so we went on in.

The house was okay, priced about right, I'd say, and in a favorable location.  Floor plan was a little too closed in and the yard was a little too big for my liking, but it was good to see a little of what's out there.

The thing that steered me away, though?  Neighbor's backyard.  There was a fire pit surrounded by a few chairs and some pilfered road signs.  It just looked like a party backyard to me, and having just moved from next door neighbors that had occassional 3am bonfires, I'm scrutinizing neighbor yards.

Thing is, I liked those previous neighbors.  They were friendly and hard-working and took good enough care of their property and such.  They weren't awful, but what's with the (illegal) bonfires and party tunes in the wee hours of the morning?  Oh well, not my problem anymore.

And I know that neighbors can change.  Our old neighborhood went through a few iterations while we lived there, so no guarantees.  At least we didn't have any crackhouses or meth labs... to my knowledge.


In the meantime, the dogs at least have some new digs.  We got this new kennel for them when we moved.  It's 6' x 16' , and I just got back from picking up matching dog houses.  Nothing fancy, just the lovely plastic shelters.  The dogs are pretty civilized, though.


The cat still pines away for the great outdoors even though I've explained to him that it's illegal in these parts.  He clearly has no respect for the law.



The lease for the house we're renting is up at the end of May, so we've got some time to shop.  We sort of have an agent here - someone we met at an open house last fall when we were REALLY just snooping.  But she seems nice and competent.  She knows we just closed the sale on our house and sent me a gift card for a local espresso and pastry.  Yes, I'll accept bribes favors.

Do you like/ dislike/ feel neutral about your neighbors?  Any horror stories?



12 comments:

Annsterw said...

Oh my - what a lovely gesture on that realtors part! She knwos what she is doing!! Growing up, we had a neighbor with a hot tub in the backyard - you are right to check out the yards! These neighbors had nightly parties in the middle of the night... drinking a laughing at 3 AM, peeing in our bushes, swapping partners..you hear a lot when the windows are open at night! Neighbors can make or break a home...keep checking those yards if you peace Abby! HA HA!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby I like going to see what is out there and I'm not buying. :-) It appears your yard is fenced so why do the dogs need to be kenneled? Perhaps that isn't your fence. My immediate neighbors to my right are leaving. I am dreading what will be next. I understand your concerns.

Abby said...

Annster, wow, you've had some neighbors! Our party neighbors were a group of 20-something friends whose parents (owners of the house) accomodated their occasional rowdy gatherings. I'll be on the watch for hot tubs!

Peggy, Yep, the yard's fenced. Our dogs like to be outside when it's nice, but they'll dig and eat things they shouldn't if left unattended. They're used to having a "playpen". Especially since this is a rental, we don't want any excavation going on!
Good luck with your neighbor roulette!

Chatty Crone said...

I would be worried about that neighbor too! Moving is tough! Good luck finding a place.

Lorraine said...

I don't understand the title of this post. Am I missing something? We looked at a lot of houses (and neighbors' backyards). Saw one nice house but the neighbor had about 5 sheds in the backyard. Didn't buy that one. Regardless, we ended up with a decent house, but with a psycho neighbor anyway. He will probably never move so we're kind of stuck. We ignore him and he leaves us alone, but he's bothered other neighbors. On the other side of us, our fairly new and nice neighbors are moving after only a year here. We are terrified of what will come next, but hoping for a nice normal family.

LL Cool Joe said...

Our neighbours in AZ have 3 dogs that bark all the time and they drive me insane. We have one set of neighbours in the UK and since I've complained about him cutting wood with a chainsaw every day things have improved.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I live on a private, non city maintained dead end road. I'm not even off the road, you have to take an easement to get to my house.
My neighbor that moved in a few years ago, is a party neighbor. He constantly has 6-7 cars at his house over the weekends (as well as my other neighbor who has 5 cars of his own). Sometime those cars barely give me access to the easement to get to my house (which is illegal since it bars access for emergency vehicles if we would need one). Like I'm squeezing my poor car though all their cars just to get home. They also have late night bonfires and parties.
I think three people live there....not sure how since it's a two bedroom home and it's tiny. (I snooped it when I was looking at my house, since it was also on the market) Like how is it even comfy to have a party in there? Every weekend?
And then my house, I have this big huge driveway and I only have one car. I'm definitely not in the norm on my deadend, but why would I need more than one car?
The other neighbor does not shovel their driveway when it snows and it's a hill that's hard to get up (and my tires are brand new, so I shouldn't have a huge issue). I go and shovel their driveway cause I like to go to work and be able to leave my house. Silly concept, I know. :)
They aren't bad neighbors, they are both v nice, but it's annoying little things. And I think because they are nice is the reason I haven't said much.

Abby said...

Sandie, thanks. It is a bit of a nervewrackingly fun adventure.

Clamco, reading these comments makes me think we've been pretty lucky in the neighbor department so far (knock on wood). The title refers to buying two houses - dog houses.

Abby said...

Joey, how much wood does one neighbor need?? Maybe he just likes chainsaws?

Morgan, wow, you've got quite a neighbor gauntlet to get through just to go home! At least they're nice? Same with our nighttime partiers - they were generally happy and friendly, which I appreciated - just not at 3am.

Linda Hensley said...

I recently had the thought that while my neighbors are unfriendly, at least we leave each other alone. Maybe I prefer to keep them instead of wishing they'd move away? I like the kennel. Can't the cat go out there with the pups?

ShadowRun300 said...

House shopping can be so much fun - especially when you have til May to find one. We, too, are moving into a temporary apartment tomorrow and moving again in August - so I feel your pain about moving twice. Actually, my husband does. He spoils me. This time around though, we have so little to move. Pays to downsize!

Abby said...

Linda, "unfriendly" can be a good neighbor quality. I think the cat would realize he's in a cage and be offended if we put him in the kennel. Then he'd probably jump over and out, leaving the dogs in awe.

SR300, you are becoming pros at moving house! Downsizing is a good thing, and I still hve some non joy-sparking items.