Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

round 2?

Yesterday, I was outside in shorts and short sleeves.  This morning, I took Penny out for her morning devotions.  The sun was warm, the birds all a-chirp.

But the weather forecast says blizzard.  Can I opt out?  I'm not really in the mood for another one of those just yet.

I snapped a pic of the sky to the south while enjoying the sun and birds a little while ago.




I've got some appointments later this afternoon, but thankfully, they're all online.  Yesterday, I took our Honda Civic in for an oil change.  It hasn't had a whole lot of activity lately.  We got it three years ago mainly for Meego to learn to drive a manual, and he uses it when he's home.

So I took it in yesterday to wake it up and get it ready for summer.  Not surprisingly, it needed a few other "tweaks" than just an oil change.  One of the tail light bulbs was out, and when the tech finished changing it out, he accidentally closed the trunk with the key inside.  Oops.

I'd walked down to pick the car up since the shop is about a mile away.  Another tech drove me home to grab my spare, and... it could not unlock the trunk.

The spare key is a valet key.  It can unlock the door and start the car, but can't open the trunk.  "Normally", we can pop the trunk from inside the car, but that lever is either inadvertently locked or just not working.  We only have one master key.

It's locked in the trunk.

It was close to closing time at the shop when all this went down, and the guys said they can get my key today if I bring the car back.  I did a little research online, and it seems like this is no small job.  So, I'm pondering:
  • (A)  Take the car back to the shop and trust that they can get my master key freed in a timely fashion, i.e. before full-on blizzard and before my tutor appointments.
  • (B)  Wait until tomorrow, with similar time constraints
  • (C)  Take it today, but leave it with them overnight if I don't wanna walk to the shop in a blizzard.

I will add that we've been using this shop for a while and really like and trust them.  This was a simple mistake - the tech was finishing up with the bulb replacement and knew I'd arrived to pick up  the car, so was hurrying to finish.

All this security for an '05 Civic.





5 comments:

Annsterw said...

Wow! That stinks! You can pop the back seat of my Civic down so you can crawl from the car into the trunk but mine is a newer civic two door so yours probably does not do that....bummer! Sending warm wishes and hoping that blizzard misses you - UGH! HUGS Annster's Domain

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

wow, that is a real dilemma. I hope you can do what Ann said above because that would be awesome. And since it would be awesome, I will assume it can't be done. That's how my week has gone anyway. Good luck. I also pray that this storm misses you guys. My goodness, it's spring darn it!

Abby said...

Ann, thanks. We do have trunk access from the backseat. Just unlock it with the... oh.

Peggy, "since it would be awesome, I will assume it can't be done" - ha! and yes.

LL Cool Joe said...

What a pain in the arse that is. How about finding someone who can pick locks? No, maybe not.

Abby said...

Joe, the tech at the shop ended up just overriding the electrical system after popping off one interior panel. The whole thing took about 20 minutes. 👍