Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2019

my name is not Stacy, and ice is hard

Saturday was our local shindig to celebrate the founders of P.E.O., aptly named "Founders Day".  We do it every year on the 1st or 2nd Saturday of February, when all the area P.E.O. chapters (there are 13 chapters in our local reciprocity) gather and pay homage to the seven founders.

Here's a group photo my chapter snagged.  Girls Gone Wild or what??





When I arrived and checked in, my name tag was nonexistent.  The check-in ladies took my word for it and let me in with a fancy name tag... I made for myself with a Sharpie.  A few minutes later, one of them had hunted me down (there were about 300 partiers in the banquet hall) so that the head check-in lady could figure out what happened with my registration.

"Oh, you're name's not Stacy", the hunter said.

And I was all, "Uhm... no"

For some reason, she'd had it in her mind that name tagless person was named Stacy, but "Good thing I remembered what you looked like!"

Yes, good for her.  Got it cleared up and the rest of Founder's Day went on without hitch.

A little earlier today, Magnum and I went out for our Sunday stroll.  We were walking along a stretch of MUP (that's "multi-use path") that is notoriously neglected when it comes to snow removal.  As such, there are several patches of ice along the path.

As we were walking across one of the ice patches, I suddenly slammed into the ground.  I don't even know why.  I don't think I slipped on the ice, but rather, I think some obstacle was lodged in the ice and I tripped over it.

I'm sure it was all very graceful (not).  I landed face-forward with my right arm bent a bit and crossed in front of my body - my right shoulder and elbow taking the brunt of the impact.  Initially, I felt a sharp pain in one of my right boob ribs - that would be a rib in the chest area - but glad to say there's no lingering pain.  I've had cracked ribs before and they're a b*tch.

I lay there for a bit on the cold hard ice to catch the wind that had been knocked out of me, not because the cold hard ice was comfortable at all.  There was really nothing Magnum could do but wait for me to gather myself, so that's what he did, and we were eventually on our way, making it back without further mishap.

Now I'm recalling that Margaret fell while walking through snow recently.  Shortly afterward, all her computer files mysteriously disappeared because of her corrupt "Margaret" file.

Think I'll go do a quick backup.  My "Abby" file or my "Stacy" file is probably corrupt...  The ice has spoken.




5 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

Whew! I had a lot of catching up to do! But I did it. And it was a great way to spend this Sunday evening. :)
You know, I’ve fallen so many times, and I think this is the first time i’ve read about you falling. It’s no fun, and I sure hope you/re alright. And I’m not sure I can help you with your plant situation, although I have yet to kill my aloe plant - so maybe try that?

Abby said...

SR300, hey thanks for stopping by :)
Yes, I think you're a much better faller than I am - I'm supposed to be getting stung by bees and stuff instead!
I had an aloe vera plant... once.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh too funny! Not your fall of course, but my corrupt file being aligned with my ice fall. :-) But you at least backed up. :-)
I think that is as good a reason as any my friend.
Glad you are okay! It's icy here today so I am walking the dog with my Yak Tracks. I won't be doing that fall again.

Abby said...

Margaret, falling SUCKS, doesn't it? Maybe we just need these reminders now and then to be more careful.
Hopefully between my external hard drive and the cloud, my files will stick around.

Annsterw said...

SO SORRY this happened to you! UGH! Falling is the worst and especially on ice! Ouch! Feel better and rest up!