Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

ringing in the season

We got us one of them Ring®️ doorbells.

Magnum wired it up last weekend, and it seems to be doing its thing.  As far as I know, we've not been victims of porch pirates *knock on wood* *throw salt over the shoulder*, but I know it's becoming a pretty common crime with people increasingly shopping online.

So we'd talked about getting a Ring or some such for a while and finally installed one.  I'm happy to say the feed has been quite boring so far.  It's mostly of my comings and goings along with footage of the neighbor cat looking for Napolion, and one entertaining video of magpies either fighting or engaging in foreplay, not sure which.




I've also learned that amazon has lockers to use for deliveries.  There's a Whole Foods about a mile away from our house, so I'm going to try the locker system next time I order something from Amazon.  Anyone need anything? For my experiment?

Maybe I'll order some fish stuff as my aquarium is starting to take shape.  I added three male guppies, a plecostomus, and a little pagoda lantern thing.


It still seems like there's a lot of empty water space in there, but I'm pretending to believe that the plants are growing and bulbs are sprouting.  


Anyone else have some sort of surveillance system for home or work?  Any stories to share?



9 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

We too have been thinking of getting a Ring. Hard to install? We haven't had stolen packages, we just have a ups man who gets gives our things to a neighbor. Same with mailman and fedex. I think they are all dyslexic, close but the numbers turned around.

Abby said...

Margaret, we have the same problem with things being delivered to the wrong house. I'm all, "you have ONE job!"
I can't say how difficult the Ring doorbell is to install. Magnum did the whole thing. He did have to run out to Lowe's for something at one point.

Chatty Crone said...

Do they deliver it to Whole Foods to keep it being stolen from your driveway?

Abby said...

Chatty, yes, you can go into your amazon account to find amazon lockers near you and select one or more to add to your account. I found several near me, not just Whole Foods, but Whole Foods is closest.

Annsterw said...

I am glad the ring was fairly easy to install. I love my in home cameras! They give me sooo much peace of mind! The comment about not sure if is is fighting or foreplay cracked me up! Have a great day!

ShadowRun300 said...

So sad that we have to install Ring doorbells, but how cool that there are such things as Ring doorbells! My son had a few hundred dollars worth of clothes stolen from his front porch. And for a kid just getting out of college, that’s pretty significant. And of course, there was the kidnapping of my best bike, Grace. Would’ve loved to have that on camera. Who cares if all I see is myself coming and going. That could be quite entertaining. :)

Morgan Cartwright said...

Oh! I want to have a Ring doorbell. I'll have to look into it, I've seen some amusing videos from them. I think all mine would be is the kids comings and goings, the animals that wander into my yard and me. :) My house is in a hidden area, so hard to find unless you know it's there.
I ordered some things from Amazon yesterday and I saw the Amazon locker option with a few locations near me. I'll have to try it out too.
Your fishtank is pretty, I like it.

Abby said...

Ann, so far it's working fine, we don't have any cameras on the inside of our home... that I know of!


SR300, yeesh, a couple hundred dollars worth of clothes getting stolen is angering for anyone, let alone a recent college grad! ...and then Grace *sniffles*

Morgan, with the Ring, you're added to a network of neighbors who watch each others' backs and share videos of suspicious peeps to be on the lookout for. It's great to see these people getting caught :D
I tried sending an order to an amazon locker yesterday. One item was too large, and for the other one, I was told "all lockers were taken" :(

Ginny said...

Our building keeps having packages stolen. Someone ripped open two amazon boxes and took a few things out and left the rest on the boxes. When we buy a house I'm getting Ring