Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

humidity, carnage, anxiety

*FOOM*  It's Wednesday, already!


  • It's been a busy few days, but all good.  On Monday, we had a whole house humidifier installed and I feel better already.  Who knows, maybe the thing isn't even doing anything and it's all placebo effect.


I know that, in some states, DE-humidifiers are the thing, but here in Colorado, the air can get very dry - especially indoors in the winter.  I declared myself done with putting up with stand alone 1-room humidifiers.

I'd been thinking about it for a while, and a couple of weeks ago, we had our furnace tune-up.  I'd planned to ask the tech about a humidifier.  Magnum was home for Thanksgiving break, and almost on cue, he got a bloody nose, which made for a nice segue to begin the humidifier discussion.  Now we own one.


  • We were watching Ella, Chaco's pooch, last weekend.  We took her out for a walk and came upon an area where a bunch of geese were hanging out, not far from a road.  As we approached, the geese began to disperse from the sidewalk by waddling off to the side, HOWEVER, two of the geese decided to TAKE OFF FLYING across the road.  


What followed was not pretty.  They were taken out by an SUV that was going over the speed limit, especially dangerous given the fact of all the geese hanging out by the side of the road .  The sound was awful - imagine taking a big grocery store chicken and throwing it full-force at your car - accompanied by a flurry of feathers.

One goose was injured and able to scamper back to safety, but I don't know how bad its injuries were.  The other one took almost a direct hit and lay twitching in the road for what seemed like an eternity before it stopped moving altogether.

I felt bad because I'm pretty sure the geese were wanting to move away from the approaching dog.  We were just walking, though, not moving fast.  And Magnum reminded me that that SUV driver was going too fast.  But sorry, Mr. or Mrs. Goose.  RIP.  I've found "comfort" in this story to assure me that geese aren't always angels...





  • Busy times in the tutin' world currently.  Semester finals and such have these students on edge.  I'm hoping to be a calming presence.  Well, one can hope anyways.  Colleges around here have winter breaks that last an entire month, so there will be plenty of time to shut the brains off soon.

Honestly, I used to think that "test anxiety" or "math anxiety" were just terms for people who didn't want to put in the work.  But I've met a few people for whom their anxiety is a real obstacle despite their best efforts.  Wish I had a fix-it recipe.







4 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

What a sad goose story - every one is in a hurry - and I wonder if they even know why.

And I wish him good luck on his finals - the anxiety is real - Andy had one today in his high school college English class - we are waiting the results.

Annsterw said...

So very sad about those geese but very happy to hear that you and Ella were not injured. Hitting any animal is the worst.....I saw a deer get hit that just laid twitching and it broke my heart!!! UGH!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I am going to ignore the geese story. oh my.

As for humidity. Every time Rick or I had to go to Colorado for business we both got bloody noses. And always needing cling-free. :-) It was so dry, the exact opposite of here. It did a number on my hair and skin as well. I am sure you are used to it, but a humidifier was a smart move to me!
And I have test anxiety, oh it's real!

Abby said...

Chatty, the goose thing happened so fast, and the driver didn't even slow down, just kept on a-going. Good luck to Andy!

Ann, sadly, I've seen other animals hit by cars. We actually took out a deer last year :'(. The twitching is the worst, I just wanted it out of its misery.

Margaret, so true about the static cling! We shoulda done the dehumidifier sooner!
That test anxiety is a bit baffling. Take an otherwise intelligent person, and they become nearly paralyzed for a test.