Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

"I look at their photos and wish I had their life"

That was a comment someone left on a news story about the sentencing of Chris Watts, the guy who killed his young daughters and pregnant wife back in August.  I'm pretty sure it's a national story, but it's headline news around here since it happened just up the road.

That's a big part of what makes the story so perplexing, in all their social media pics and updates they look like the perfect happy little family - good looking  smiley couple with two cute and happy little girls, a baby boy on the way.  What the hell??

So he took a plea deal to get life in prison and avoid the death penalty.  I saw several other comments that the death penalty would be the easy way out, "let him rot in prison and have to think about those innocent children every day..."

But will he?

I can't wrap my head around being capable of snuffing out 3- and 4-year old little girls, then stuffing their bodies into an oil tank through an 8-inch diameter hole.  I don't think we can assume he is feeling bad about killing those girls if he's capable of doing what he did in the first place.

Ugh, sorry to bring up such disturbing subjects, but like I said, it's been all over the news, so I needed a bit of a vent.  It does shed light on the "picture perfect" families and couples on social media. Don't assume.

Speaking of less-than-perfect, I'll shift gears and mention that today is my birthday.  woot.

Magnum's birthday is Saturday, so we celebrate them together by not celebrating.  Well, they happen around Thanksgiving, so we just lump everything together and pretend our birthdays are a national holiday.

And now I'm going to bake - not a birthday cake.  We're tasked with providing beer and dessert for a family Thanksgiving gathering tomorrow.  Magnum got the beer, so I guess dessert is up to me.  Well, Ima try.

As far as my personal mark for another year on earth?  Maybe I'll get a tattoo?



Happy Thanksgiving, Yo!




7 comments:

Brian said...

Happy Birthdays!!! My spousal unit and I have birthdays only 2 days apart, about a week before Christmas. We stopped celebrating them ages ago, although we do try and get out for a nice dinner in there someplace.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

LL Cool Joe said...

Happy Birthday to you!

I don't think human beings that aren't mentally ill, can ever understand the way someone like Christopher Watts could do what he did. He's probably a Psychopath and has impaired empathy. Scary and so sad.

ShadowRun300 said...

Definitely a sad story. It’s been on our news around here as well. :(
Happy birthday to you and Magnum!! Have fun not celebrating. That’s how we “celebrate” too. Anymore, being surrounded by family is enough for me. And lucky for you, having your birthdays near a very family oriented holiday, pretty well means you’re guaranteed that.
Have a great Thanksgiving!! Dessert is my favorite thing to bring. (And eat) Just sayin’.

Tee said...

Happy birthday! Happy Thanksgiving!

It IS mind boggling how someone could do the awful things this guy did. It's hard to understand a world where that kind of evil exists. I agree ... there's something not right in his head, and doubt that he's capable of feeling remorse. The death penalty might be the easy way out, but with a life sentence, the tax payers are supporting his life for many years. It's a no win. Sad. Just sad.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Another reason people should not view social media photos and think they have the best life. No one knows what is behind the facade. He is one evil bastard. I can't wrap my head around killing those babies. I just can't.
On to a happier note -
Happy Birthday!! Hope it was a great day. 35 right?
:-)

Abby said...

Margaret, I usually don't pay much mind to overly happy looking social media, but this story makes me wonder about all the other stuff going on.

Annsterw said...

UGH! Such a horrible story! I cannot imagine what has to be wrong with someone that is capable of that!!! WOW!

On a happy note!!!!!!!!!! Happy birthday!!! Ihope the day was amazing!~