Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2018

what's in a headshot?

Magnum and I went to a movie.  We went to see "Alpha".  I saw the trailer and thought it would either be really cheesy or pretty good.  After watching it, I'd say... it was a little bit of both.  There were definitely some plot holes, and I'm not one who can easily turn a blind eye to plot holes.  But I think it's getting decent reviews.  I'd characterize it as "'Ice Age' for a slightly older crowd".  But it was an okay way to kill a couple of hours on an overcast afternoon, especially since I wasn't really expecting much.  Escape-movie day.

It was a busy week for me, which is nice, but I was glad to have a day with no appointments.  I'm sure everyone reading this knows that today was August SAT test day.  Right?

I've been thinking that I should change my profile pic on the tutor website.  My hair is different now than what's in the photo.  I wondered how much of a role the profile pic plays when someone goes there to seek a suitable tutor.  I've honestly looked at a few in the mix and thought, "that tutor needs to upload a better photo!"

As for me, I mainly try to look like a "normal" person.  Knowledgeable but approachable, y'know?  And I'll make a slight confession here.  When I was deciding on a profile pic, I was looking at a couple of contenders and picked the one where I thought I looked the most Asian.

There, I said it.  It's because of the stereotype of Asians being smart and disciplined - I thought I might make that work in my favor.


Let the world know that  I've never set foot on Asian ground and am as 'merican as they come.  And besides, my Asianness is Filipino, which I don't think counts on the high achiever stereotype scale.  But thanks for the genes, Mom.

But I do sometimes wonder what factors and how much weight tutees put into their searches.  Especially with the online thing going, zip code no longer matters.  I got my answer this week... well, one answer.

A mom texted me to set up a second session with her daughter.  She said her daughter liked me and asked the mom what made her choose me.

"You look a lot like her piano teacher, whom we love!"

Piano teacher, whoever you are, thanks for the face.




6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You are smart - and you think a lot deeper than I do. Good luck with your tutoring.

LL Cool Joe said...

You should use that photo you used to have here of you with a piece of paper with a smile on it. That always made you look mysterious and unique. Okay, maybe that isn't a good idea after all.

ShadowRun300 said...

I did NOT know it was August SAT test day. I’m kinda glad I don’t have to know anymore.
I would think profile pics have a lot to do with being chosen, so it’s good to put some thought into it. Do you get reviewed as well? Not sure I would like to read what people say, but heck, if you’re good, people should know!

Abby said...

Chatty, aw thanks :)

Joey, Oh I remember that blogger photo. Pesky administrators would probably chuck it right away!

SR300, yes, reviews are an option and make me nervous. I prefer to not know, but anytime I go to my dashboard there they are staring me in the face. So far, so good. Knock on wood, hail Mary...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, you got me thinking. If I were looking for a tutor would it matter to me? If the person looked mean I would say no, don't want him. So I guess the answer is yet it would make a difference. I look for approachable. Because if it were math, which I suck at as much as spelling, then I'd want someone who looked nice so they would be patient with me. :-) Your Asian comment was funny. But that would intimidate me because I would think you were way too smart to understand how dumb I am. :-)

Linda Hensley said...

Cute! You reminded me that I've been meaning to update my photo too, but I don't think the pic I used will confuse me with a piano teacher. Still chuckling over your last post :)