Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2018

rain, algebra, cats and dogs

Went and had brunch with the mother-in-law and step-father-in-law today.  It was nice, and we got into a bit of a "spiritual" discussion.  We didn't come up with any answers, but a nice discussion nonetheless.

July is coming to a close, and it's been a good month, I'd say.  Most of the fires in our state are out or under control, and we're getting blessed rains.  Certain burn bans have been lifted, which means our millennial neighbors will probably start up again with their late night bonfires, but I'm liking the rain and afternoon cool downs. 




I was just looking over my tutor stats for the month, and I'm happy with them, considering it's mid-summer.  Summer is typically the off-season as far as tutordom goes, but I've managed to keep somewhat busy despite the slack-off. 


My college student confessed that this is the second time he's taken this particular math class.  He's had other tutors before, but he thinks it's actually going in this time. 







"I think it's helping me because you like math, but... you also have a personality!", he says.

HA!


We dogsat last weekend with Chaco's new dog, Ella.  Chaco was going camping and didn't want to take her because she was still recovering from her spay surgery.  She's really a great pooch, smart, energetic, and inquisitive.  Made herself right at home.



She was also quite interested in our cat, and not in a good way.  I know her instinct to chase the cat can be trained out of her.  I suggested dog school to Chaco, and he's thinking about it.  It's his dog, but our problem, and only when she comes over, so we'll see.  Advice is welcome. 

The cat loves a good fight, but I don't think he's up for this one.




10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Well hopefully the dog will learn to socialize with the cat? lol

Larz said...

It's about rewarding the behavior you want to see. So basically training the dog to come when called every time, or to "leave it". Treats work best, but some dogs aren't as food motivated as others. So keep her on a leash and when she wants to chase the cat (or anything) call her back (and urge her with the leash if needed) and reward her when she comes. Soon, the food will be more enticing than the small creature.

LL Cool Joe said...

Hey you have a personality, that must be good to know! :D I'm glad you have enough work to keep you busy during the summer.

We had some rain this weekend and it's still raining now. It was great but now I want it to end. :D

Abby said...

Chatty, she's a smart dog, just young and wants to chase every furry thing!

Thanks, Larz! I watched a couple of YouTube videos that pretty much reiterated everything you say. She/we can do this!

Joey, my apparent personality is mainly a dig at the previous tutors who, I guess, had none. He was starting to think we were all that way!

Linda Hensley said...

I used to worry my dogs would harm cats, but as I doctored one dog's slashed nose I decided cats can defend themselves. Advice I was given a long time ago was to make sure that the cats can escape to dog-free zones. It seems to work. My current dog likes cats and likes to cuddle with my brother's cat.

Abby said...

Linda, one of our dogs liked to chase cats. A bloody slash to the nose "cured" him. I know our current cat would do the same, it's one of the best training techniques :)

ShadowRun300 said...

First..... Who the “f” IS Jack? I’d need a tutor too.
How fun that you got to babysit your grand furbaby. A dog would be the only type of grandkid I’m ready for. I need to be broken into the idea of being a grandma very slowly....

Abby said...

SR300, the Jack problem - must be getting into imaginary numbers?
Yes, the grandpooch is welcome anytime! Grandkid? You trying to tell us something? ;)

ShadowRun300 said...

NOOO!!! Maybe if any of them were ready to be a parent, I’d be ready to be a grandparent. But right now, I’d be happy with grandpooches.

Unknown said...

Dog School can guarantee a changed pooch?
If this is true all children should be enrolled in a dog school!