Pages

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Justin gives me chills

I heard there was a big football game today?

I don't really concern myself with happenings in the NFL and can't remember the last time I watched an entire game.  Magnum usually watches, so I catch snippets during the season.  I do know that the Superbowl is today and I even know who's playing in it!

This  morning, I ran in the local Super Half Marathon.  It was a good time, as usual - for a little over half of the half.  Then Mother Nature turned it into a real race - a race to finish or freeze.

It was sunny and in low 30s when we started out.  I was actually a bit concerned that I might be dressed too warmly, but that was NOT the case.  Just before the halfway point, the breeze had blown some cloud cover, but I totally expected that as I'd checked the weather forecast.  Supposedly, some clouds would blow in for a bit, but then clear out quickly.

I think they didn't get the memo on "clear out quickly".  Instead they hung around and invited bunches of friends. The temperature dropped to mid-20s, and the wind was not our friend.  And the mean clouds started spitting on us.

Around the 9-mile point, I realized I didn't have feeling in my left hand.  Nice.  Fortunately, a left hand isn't all that necessary for running.  I managed to finish in an upright position and then went in search of the sweat check, as I had a light jacket waiting for me.

I couldn't see the sweat check right away, so thought I'd ask an official looking person.

"SKOOZ MA, WHA DA SWE CHE?", came strangely out of my mouth, which I then realized was attached to my nearly frozen face.

Miraculously, I was understood and directed to a cold person behind a cold plastic table with several bags of clothing.  I claimed my bag, and the cold person was nice enough to undo the tie for me, as the runners coming in - myself included - had hands that were as dexterous as rocks.

It was a good time, though, really.  I'm happy with my finish, and I think I can honestly say that it was the least I've ever sweated in a race.



The stats:
Finish time 1:49:37
175th overall
54th for the ladies
2nd for my age group

And I got the all-important medal/bottle opener.

Now, bring on Justin Timberlake... er... the football game!


4 comments:

Jimmy said...

Congratulations on finishing your race in a respectable time, unfrozen, and with the all-important medal/ bottle opener, nice going seriously!

The ballgame was really a good one even.

Abby said...

I didn't really care which team won, but hoping for a good game. And you're right, it was.
Halftime wasn't too shabby either :)

ShadowRun300 said...

A guest asked me yesterday who I wanted to win. I didn’t even know which teams were in it. Too bad for me, because I love JT and totally missed out on it.
I’ve run in those kind of conditions before. I found it’s a great motivator to beat your record, but that’s all it’s good for. Congrats on a great time! Glad you made it home with your swag and all your limbs.

Abby said...

Some are dissing the halftime show. It wasn't "spectacular", but it was Justin Timberlake - what's not to like??
I think that was the first time I froze during a competition, but certainly not the first time I froze. It was strange for conditions to change so drastically, though. I was actually a bit worried about others I'd seen wearing just shorts and t-shirts at the start, but then figured they (1) were tougher than me and (2) likely finished before I did anyway!