Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2017

the last time I saw her

"Don't look!", I told myself.  Act like everything's normal.

I knew if I looked, she would either disappear or I would totally freak out.  Or both.

But I knew she was there.  She was ninety degrees to my right, standing in the doorway to my bedroom.  I was facing a mirror above the dresser, getting ready for work.  It was early morning and still a bit dark out.

So I didn't look.  I pretended to continue to primp, but it was bad pretending because even without looking, I was freaking out a little.  Even without looking, I KNEW she was there.



Eventually, I figured that, since I was already freaking out anyway, I might as well look.  I had to look.

So I did.

And there she was.  The vision probably lasted less than a second, but I saw her.  She didn't speak.  She didn't move.  She was only standing there, looking right at me.  She was wearing navy blue and sunglasses.  She looked good.

Then she was gone, and I was left standing, looking at the hallway outside my bedroom.

My grandma.

About 15 years after she'd passed away.

I still wonder why she was wearing those sunglasses.  Maybe I'll ask her next time I see her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up with Mama Kat for the prompt:
5.) Write about a time you were totally freaked out because thought there was a ghost.

5 comments:

KatBouska said...

GOOSEBUMPS!!! I'm equal parts creeped out and amazed. What a story and what a special visit!

Madamdreamweaver said...

Interesting. Must be sunny in heaven. (sunglasses)

ShadowRun300 said...

And now I remember why I don’t like scary movies. Or books. Or blogs. They scare me.
So nice job freaking me out. :)

Tee said...

I love it! I fully believe our loved ones who have passed on are still here with us. Just not in a way that's obvious to us most of the time.

Linda Hensley said...

Most people with near death experiences report a bright light. The sunglasses seem very sensible to me. This week I wrote about my Grandma's visit too, but I didn't get the visual, just audio.