Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2016

the hills are alive

... with bugs and reptiles and weeds and stuff.

I've been having these balance troubles for the past couple of weeks, but I have noticed some slight improvements - either from the exercises or the antihistamines or a combination of both.  I'd say my equilibrium skills have improved to about a grade of C from the D- I had a week ago.  Hopefully this week, I'll get them back up to an A.

In the meantime, I was going a little bonkers from having to limit my activities in the outside world.  Yesterday was a nice day and was beckoning.  I gently mentioned to Magnum,

"I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!"

Meego was at an all-day marching band clinic, so the two of us decided to go for a relatively easy hike in Pulpit Rock Open Space with hopes of logging a few geocaches.  Good idea!

We've hiked in this area before, but the geocaching took us to some places we've never been.  I didn't even know this chimney remnant from an old hermit house was back there.  This is where we found the aptly named "Santa Missed his Mark"



Like that particular cache, the names of many geocaches hold clues.  As we looked for "Camo Tater", I was wondering, was it hidden in a potato patch?  Was it an actual potato?  Close.















Yup, I'd say that's a camo tater.












Another was in a beautiful spot in a tree near the edge of a cliff.  My phone gps told me to go another 16 feet forward.  I don't think my phone gps likes me very much.













See the cache?



See the cliff?




See our moniker in the log?
















All in all, it was a nice couple of hours at about the limit of my staying upright, and the weather held up nicely for us too.  Now to just get off this boat!

.

10 comments:

Marcy said...

Love the camo tater -- how fun! I hope your balance issue clears up.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun!

Abby said...

A nice way to get rid of those old toys :D

Abby said...

Bunches!

ShadowRun300 said...

So glad you got out for a bit and that you're maybe feeling a little better? I know how stir crazy a person can get without being able to be active.
I keep saying this, but I need to look up geocaching around here. Not sure there's much available without driving a bit, but it might be worth it. Always looks like fun when you and Magnum do it, even though we won't have cliffs around here to offer up the danger aspect. :)

Abby said...

It's a fun way to explore new places... or even old places. My gps danger phone doesn't speak Pokemon Go, so geocaching it is.

LL Cool Joe said...

That chimney looks a bit weird standing there (or is it sitting?) all alone.

Abby said...

Apparently a hermit lived in a small structure there years ago. The chimney is all that's left.

Unknown said...

GPS told us of the location.... does it show elevations and safe route to travel in the wilderness? just wondering...

Abby said...

Nope. It's just a flat map that shows (approximately) where I am and where the cache is. Maybe there are other gps units that show more, but I was just using the geocaching app on my phone.