Pages

Saturday, October 3, 2015

*not a real fan of the strap on, but it has its advantages

*I think Joey's blog title methods are rubbing off on me...

I've dusted it off and strapped it on, time to make some cash.

We've just started the final quarter of health incentives from Magnum's work.  One of those incentives is to log our steps each day.  We get points depending on the number of steps.  Points are transferred to dollars.  I'm not a fan of wearing a pedometer, but I'll do it for money.

This happens every quarter, and there is a maximum number of points to earn each time.  So once I get the max, the pedometer goes back into the drawer until the next round.  Good thing Magnum reminded me that with the start of October comes the final push for the year.  We get points for not smoking and points for sleeping too.  I'll take 'em!

This morning, as I clicked the button that said I agree to be tobacco free, I wondered about the cheaters.  All it is is a click of a button.  I could be sitting here puffing away and still get the points.  And apparently, if one admits to being a smoker, points are actually deducted.  Who would admit it??



But then I recalled some people just really want to quit and a little extra motivation goes a long way.

Years ago, I worked with a guy who was desperately trying to give up cigarettes.  He was a nice guy, quite intelligent and introspective, and it really bothered him that quitting smoking was so difficult.  He chewed gum until his head muscles were sore, he told me about his appointments with an acupuncturist who stuck needles into him and lit the tips on fire.

But still, he wanted those cigarettes.

For another friend of mine, it was those Yul Brynner PSAs that did it.  Until then, she could go through a pack like the best of them, but Yul touched a nerve, and she quit cold turkey.  She put on some weight, as is common, but didn't care.  She knew she would never smoke again.

Is there a gene that makes some people more easily addicted than others?  How much of it is emotionally driven?

Back when I was a teen and working in a restaurant, we'd take our "coffee and smoke breaks" regularly, as was the norm back then.  I guess it made us feel grown up or something.  I've never smoked since, nor wanted to.  It was more of a social thing, really.

The coffee, though... Good thing there's no button for that.

.

12 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

My parents were both heavy smokers while I was growing up. I hated it, and begged all the time for them to quit. They no longer smoke, but it took many attempts over many years.
Needless to say, I'd be able to click "Agree to be smoke-free".
I think it's a great idea what your health insurance does. I don't think mine cares how many steps I take. Which is why I've never used a strap-on. (And yes, Joey's rubbing off on you...)

Linda Hensley said...

I think you're right in questioning if addictions have an emotional element, but I think there's chemical reasons too. Otherwise, we wouldn't be so driven to our drugs of choice, whether it's coffee, cigarettes, sugar, drugs, alcohol, etc. Just be glad you could click the button with a clear conscience.

Abby said...

My parents didn't smoke, so I never really considered it as an option for me either, other than the "play smoking" at work. Good for you for not following down your parents' path, and so adamantly!

The health incentive program is nice and hopefully making a difference. Magnum says he sees a lot more people out walking and such during breaks than before.

Abby said...

I agree, there are probably several factors to explain our vices. All part of what makes us individuals.

Riot Kitty said...

LMAO at your post title!

Larz said...

My friend was a smoker for years. When she moved here earlier this year she encountered some pressures from the generally "healthy" people around here. It wasn't until she went hiking with us at the Sand Dunes that she decided it was time. She had trouble keeping up just on a short jaunt. She quit cold turkey and is now training for a 5k. It's interesting how one thing can change so much. I wish I could quit sugar so easily!

Abby said...

What else could it be?

Abby said...

Yeah sometimes it takes an epiphany like sucking wind on a sand dune!

terri said...

As a former social smoker who ended up having a habit that was not so much social, I was able to quit and never look back. But I know how hard it is for some. I have a relative who is clearly suffering some ill effects from her habit. I worry about her. She never admits anything is wrong, but when you hear the way she can't get through a sentence without stopping to cough, you KNOW there's something big going on inside. And I can't comprehend why she doesn't just give 'em up, but she never does. And she's got adult kids and grandbabies and you would think that would be a big motivator, but ... nope.

Good for you being able to click that button, and proudly!

Abby said...

It's interesting how some people can quit easily given the right reasons and others have such a struggle. Glad you never looked back!

LL Cool Joe said...

OMG how did I miss this post, especially with this title and a shout out to me! Ha ha, anybody would think I have a dirty mind. :D I think yours takes the prize for being the most provocative so far anyway!

I smoked for one week at uni and hated every minute of it and never inhaled it anyway. It just wasn't for me, I'm glad to say.

Abby said...

You're the master of blog titles, Joey! Probably somewhat because you don't smoke :)