Pages

Friday, December 26, 2014

larvae little Christmas

Happy post-Christmas to those who celebrate!
Happy Friday to the others!

We enjoyed a nice day of much cooking, much eating, much gaming, and much general slacking off for the five of us.  No travelling, and no visitors.





We also managed to survive another Christmas camp.  In fact, this year was not nearly as cold as last, but that's not saying a whole lot because last year was freaking freeeezing!





The trusty tent stove did its job nicely, cranking out the warmth until it didn't anymore.  Strangely, no one wanted to stay up all night to feed it.  I think  it needs a name...











We think the temperatures got down into the upper 20s.  Livable for one night, but I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis








Long johns are our friends.

I remember waking up cold around 4 a.m.  The fire had long gone out and I was craving my hoodie, which was outside my bag.  WHY did I not tuck it in with me?  I managed to funnel it in through the small hole in my mummy bag, but had no success in actually putting it on once it was in there.  I had to sacrifice crucial body heat and loosen the bag so as to put on the hoodie, but in the end, it was worth it.

I stayed snug the rest of the night in my cocoon, hoping to emerge a beautiful butterfly.




Spoiler Alert:  it didn't work.



.



12 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

Happy post-Christmas to you as well! Sounds like it was as nice and quiet as ours. Had you had our weather for your Christmas camp out, you'd have been sweatin' in that tent. It was beautiful here!
Your spoiler alert made me giggle, but it's so not true. And now I know your secret to why you look so good! (Though I can't see me having a Christmas camp out until we get down to Florida.)

terri said...

I love the way you find fun (?) and creative ways to spend family time together. Your kids are going to have some great stories to tell their own kids one day.

Sheesh, I can hardly stay warm in my own bed inside the house. I guess that's the point of the camp out. Makes you realize you really have it pretty darn good.

Guano said...

It's no coincidence that in this case, Madame Butterfly, c-coon comes from a sh-shiver!
C-cool tradition, pun intended.

Linda Hensley said...

SO not my idea of a good time! But hey, if you're happy, I'm happy!

Riot Kitty said...

You know - Santa lives at the North Pole, so you don't have to!

Abby said...

It actually ended up being the nicest night of the week, but no, I was not sweating!

Abby said...

You can bet I was looking forward to my own bed the next night, but I'll admit, it is kinda fun to freeze our butts off together.

Abby said...

Butterfly affect, maybe?

Abby said...

Oh, you should try it! Okay, maybe not...

Abby said...

Oh yeah!

agg79 said...

Brrrr. That makes me cold just looking at those frosty pics. Did enough of those camping adventures in the Army and Scouts that I am not as "enthusiastic" about winter camping as I once was. Still, a good bag (cocoon) and a working stove seem to help. You just need to figure out who's turn it is to tend the fire (usually a job for the lower ranks).

Anita said...

If I could snap my fingers to be in the layers of clothes I'd need, maybe that would be fun. I'm thinking that I'd be hot-flashed out in the dressing process. It reminds me of dressing 3 little kids to go out in the snow, 3 times, equaling 9. (And undressing.) Tiring, but hey, I did my mommy duty. Anyway, glad you had fun. Actually, I'd try it... once... with experienced cold weather campers, such as yourself.