Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

boot up

School finally started this week.  Was that a long break Or WHAT?!  I was seriously afraid I'd lose the momentum I had before Christmas and need to rejuvenate everything, like I'd been out for 25 years again.

It was almost like that.

But really not so bad.  Being part-time helps, and I just have 3 classes again, although I'm in school every day.  At least it's not ALL day.

I've had one math class, which was a joyful review rather than a spooky jump into new stuff.  I've also had one of my teacher classes - sort of a psychology class.  I think it will be fun and interesting.  There are a lot of familiar faces in there (none in math!), and also some new faces.

In the psychology class, we had to interview one of the others and then introduce them to the class.  I learned a few new things about people I thought I knew pretty well.

Mike is a trampoline gymnast?  Jenny's a three-time cancer survivor?!  Young Sean has FIVE kids?!?

The class I have yet to begin is more of a teaching philosophy/history class.  It meets once a week for two-and-a-half hours.  Say it:  "TWO-AND-A-HALF-HOURS".  Hear an echo?  Okay... I can do this...





Of course the commute is lovely.  It's always been an enjoyable enough bicycle commute:  not too far and relatively flat.  But although I was riding my bike and had the wind in my hair, the bugs in my teeth, etc., it still felt like a bit of a rat race getting to and from.

Now that I'm on the bike path, it's like a calming meditation before and after school.  Of course, there's snow in tonight's forecast and tomorrow's high is predicted to be *brrrrr* 20.  I think the only zen that will bring is FRO-zen!




.

17 comments:

terri said...

I think for students like you (who have been living "real life" for a while,) those long college breaks are just... really long. I know the kids appreciate it but I can see where you (wanting to reach the finish line) would worry about losing momentum. I would too.

Nice that you have such a calming bike ride before that TWO.AND.A.HALF.HOUR. class. Eek.

Anonymous said...

Well it's about time. How much break does one need? I've been off work for 2 whole days now and I'm going bonkers!
With snow in the forecast, perhaps Bella will get to try out the new commute?

Guano said...

I've had a couple of days off while on travel. You'd think that would be a good thing (especially here, where it's balmy), but I really just want to git 'er done so I can go home!

Breaks. Bah! Who needs 'em?!

Rock Chef said...

Tarmac cycle paths - I am sooo jealous!

Two and a half hours - depends on the teacher, might fly past!

Ms. CrankyPants said...

I expect when you were being interviewed, the person was tempted to introduce you to the class as "Abby, who has bugs in her teeth." Or - maybe everyone already knew that? ;)

That does look like a lovely commute.

Abby said...

Yes, I won't deny the age factor. Time is of the essence!

Abby said...

I'm not sure why the break is so long. They do have a "winterim" session where there are classes going on during that long break, but none of my classes were offered espresso style.
I think Bella is chomping at the bit to be out there too!

Abby said...

Understandable, considering how old you are.

Abby said...

I wish I could will some lovely bicycle path to you! If you happen to slide and crash, you might take out a jogger, but no trucks to worry about!
We had our first philosophy class. Not bad!

Abby said...

Ha! Yes, we were supposed to share things that no one else knew about us, so the tooth bugs were out.

Anita said...

Who goes along with you to school, Bella, Alice, or Tessa? Did I get the names right? Or do you alternate and give each of them a Mommy and me day on campus? :)

The year seems to have started off well for you. Awesome! May it continue.

Abby said...

Yes, names all correct - top of the class!
I usually prefer Alice (or her predecessor, Tessa) because they are light and fast, but big-boned Bella is better when the roads are messy and/or it's windy. They all get their Mommy and me days!

Riot Kitty said...

Two and a half hours? My butt hurts just thinking about it.

Abby said...

Yup, you know it!

agg79 said...

2.5 hours? Reminds me of my MBA 3 hour classes. A real drag. I always hated those psych classes that have you doing those touchy-feely "out of the box" exercises. I have done several of those "get to know your co-worker" drills. It is interesting to hear everyone's back story, but I find it fun to sometimes to ad lib and make up something just to mess with everyone (Did you know that Abby used to work in a circus as a lion tamer?).

That is one nice commute. The kind of commute I would pay extra for.

Abby said...

Not a lion tamer, horse trick rider. Yeah, that was me...

meleah rebeccah said...

"Mike is a trampoline gymnast?  Jenny's a three-time cancer survivor?!  Young Sean has FIVE kids?!?"

Wow! What an interesting mix!

Also - 2 & 1/2 hours for one class? Sheesh! That's longer than most movies.

"Now that I'm on the bike path, it's like a calming meditation before and after school." - That's wonderful. Hopefully you'll have more sunny days than snow days to enjoy it!