Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Silver Liningness Sunday

It was actually nice to get back to the grind after Thanksgiving Week of Sloth.  If we didn't have the grind, the Weeks of Sloth wouldn't be special.

The weather has been unseasonably warm and dry.  We need snow, but at the same time, it's hard to complain about sun and temperatures in the 60's.  It's probably my fault, from buying all that warm stuff for the crosswalk.

Magnum and I have been keeping up with the workplace health incentives and have begun receiving our cash rewards.  We even received new pedometers for getting even more rewards.  Will Christmas be fully funded with work health incentive cash this year??  Doubt it, but we'll see!

On that note, Meego is lobbying for a trial bike.  They're for doing parkour-like things while on a bicycle.  Looks fun, is not at all very practical, and the bikes are crazy expensive considering they each have only one gear and no seat.  Still... maybe if he lets me play with it?




Meet my friend Brother Harry.  Harry and I used to work together as desk agents at the sex-change town hotel many years ago.  I was studying to be an engineer, he was studying to be a Jesuit Priest.  He had some of the best dirty jokes...

It so happened that our boss and I shared the same first name.  She went through a "slutty period" involving the hotel, so Harry gave me a new name, which he still endearingly refers to me today.

I am now a retired engineer, and Bro Harry is a much loved Jesuit.  He still lives in my hometown, of which he is pretty much the pope, if hometowns had such things.

This is a pic of him at the recent tree-lighting ceremony.  I thought it so cute, he makes the Silver Lining post pic this week.




Harry Christmas!
.

15 comments:

Anita said...

I clicked over to the bike before finishing the post, and "I declare," I did not notice the absense of a seat! See... this is what you miss when you have no boys. :)

Get it - and I HOPE you'll play with it and get some video of your "play" for the blog. lol

I like your "Harry" story and the sweet ending. You gonna tell us what name he gave you?

terri said...

As a mom, that parkour stuff would worry me to death! But I can see the appeal of this to young, energetic, adventurous boys.

Brother Harry looks great in his Saint Nicholas (?) get-up. It can't hurt to have a friend in such high places.

Abby said...

Hmm, I wonder what I miss by having no girls? I was one, but I think being a mom of one would be different.

Thanks to Boss Lady's Shenanigans, we silently renamed the front office "'Abby's a-go-go". From then on, Harry has called me Aushleigh. I don't remember the significance of that name other than it wasn't Abby's a-go-go.

Abby said...

These guys see something on youtube and think they can just walk out the door and do it too! Maybe we can start small?

I always think that about Harry - he's a handy friend!

ShadowRun300 said...

YouTube is how my boys learned to parkour. Only minor bruising was suffered during their learning period. Shouldn't those videos come with warnings about "Not trying this at home"?
Congrats on your health rewards. They're well earned, I'm sure!
Love the pic of Bro Harry! How exciting that you know the Pope of Abbyville!

Jimmy said...

Oh Yes I'd most likely break something on that bike, most likely--I'm sure I would Ha Ha

agg79 said...

Congrats on keeping it healthy. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle pays dividend in the end. And, not to nitpick, but is it TRIAL or TRAIL bike? I'm not sure I am a big fan of parkour stunts. They are amazing but I keep thinking about all those FAIL videos where the stunt doesn't always go as planned.

And Brother Harry looks pretty darned convincing as St Nicholas.

Linda Hensley said...

What is it with priests and their dirty jokes? Your friend looks cute all dressed up. I love my sloth weeks, but I guess working has its compensations too. I hope you have a great week!

Rock Chef said...

He looks and sounds like my kind of priest!

Abby said...

Maybe they should come with warnings like "it took me YEARS to get this good!"

Abby said...

Yep, the bike would outlast me, I'm pretty sure!

Abby said...

It's TRIAL bike, not TRAIL, not TIME TRIAL. Maybe named for the trials and tribulations they put the parents through?

Abby said...

The priests I know also like their wine. Whatever works!

Abby said...

He does have a mass appeal!

meleah rebeccah said...

"Thanksgiving Week of Sloth." That literally made me laugh out loud.

I am NOT a fan of this heat wave we're having. I want freezing cold temps, and a blizzard, complete with five feet of snow.

Hooray for cash rewards!

Good bikes really are expensive, thus my lazy ass doesn't exercise.

"Harry and I used to work together as desk agents at the sex-change town hotel many years ago.  I was studying to be an engineer, he was studying to be a Jesuit Priest." GET OUT!! I really need to know more about THAT.