Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

space case



It's my island in a sea of testosterone and zoology.

We bought a simple 5' x 3' table from Office Max and put the desktop on it.  Eventually, I upgraded and added another simple table to get the all important L-shape.  Thus, the gigadesk was born.

To my left, and a little bit behind is the 36" TV upon which the kids play XBox and PS2 games.  So I bought earbuds.

Behind and to my right is a bookshelf that holds my tutoring books.  Directly behind me a few paces is a sink ("wet bar" in the real estate ad) and counter with a snake.  Next to that is one of my other offices - the laundry room.

Underneath the gigadesk are some storage bins, since it has no drawers of its own.  The bins hold finished artworks, a few virgin art supplies and office supplies.

So while we all co-exist in this "rec room", the gigadesk is my island.  This is where I blog from.  This is where I draw and paint from.  Sometimes, I do work here. Rarely.

I know others like to get all comfy on a couch or bed, with a laptop, to blog from and read blogs.  But I always blog and read from here.  When I'm doing my tutor work to prepare lessons and such, I kick back and get comfy on the futon.

Growing up, I had my own bedroom.  I would draw in there, listen to music in there.  Never did my homework in there.  I guess I'm just continuing the tradition.  I play at my desk.  I work on the couch.

Don't bother me.  I'm playing.
.

---------------------------------------------
From the NaBloPoMo prompt:

"Where is your favourite place to blog?"
.

12 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

Man... if I had an L-shape desk as practical as yours, I would probably blog there. But alas, I don't.
Instead I find sitting at our breakfast bar with my laptop is the best place for me to write a blog. But my favorite place to read other blogs is on the couch, snuggled under a blanket, with a bowl of ice cream.
My favorite part of your set-up is that lamp! I vaguely remember a post or drawing of it a while back. It has so much character! :)

terri said...

I'm a little jealous of your space. I don't have such a space. I enjoy blogging and reading from the comfort of a recliner in the family room, or at the kitchen table.

Jimmy said...

I haven't gotten the hang of blogging anywhere but from my desktop computer, Cindy and I both have our own computer and desk so needless to say sitting side by side we take up 10' of wall room with our desks :)

I like the way you laid all of this out to where it works for both computer work and your artwork among other things.

Guano said...

Empty desk acreage -- a rarity around here! Work, homework, Scrabble, etc all take place at the dinner table. And dinner is in front of the TV watching "Lost". I don't think we even need the rest of the house....well, except for the garage :-)

Rock Chef said...

That is a great work space - I have desk-envy...

Abby said...

The L-shape gives me a false sense of security - like a fortress. And everyone loves that lamp! Chaco had to have one just like it in his corner. He took it with him to college, so Wolfgang HAD to replace it with another. Mine is apparently very fertile.

Abby said...

I lobbied for this space. Told then I needed this piece of real estate for the tutoring biz. HaHaHaHaHa!

Abby said...

Aha! Another die-hard desk top user!

Abby said...

This is like my little zen garden. Tiny island in a big messy world. Got that urinal in the garage yet?

Abby said...

Thanks RC :)

LL Cool Joe said...

I have my own room which is wonderful. I had this studio when I was doing graphic design, and now it's turned into a music studio, and ebay storage centre and just my hiding space.

Yours looks a lot neater than mine!

Anita said...

I like your space. It's so neat and established with individual purposes.

I blog wherever. I have a desk in a den/office with a chunky "desktop" on the floor beside it. I also have a laptop. Right now, I'm in the kitchen using it at the island counter.

I charge the battery on the laptop and take it with me while a kid is doing some activity, and I use Word to write my posts or read books as I sit in the car. My car is probably my favorite office. Really.