Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Mirror


Even I don't wake up looking like Cindy Crawford. 
~ Cindy Crawford


When do we start worrying about our looks?

When I was 11 years old, I crashed my skateboard and, while doing so, apparently tried to take a bite out of the street.  It wasn't pretty.

One front tooth was chipped to about half it's original length.  The other was just a faint stub of tooth evidence with the end of the dead root hanging exposed.  My chin was bruised, my arm was sore and scraped up, but all I cared about was the state of my facial appearance and how "ugly" I was.  How could I got to school the next day, looking like that?

Damn mirror.

Reflections aren't always happy.

This week's Illustration Friday prompt is "Mirror".  Hmmm... what to draw for that?

Happy reflections.
.

9 comments:

lotta joy said...

Two situations added up to let me know I was a dog. My dad introduced me to a friend of his and said "Isn't she beautiful." The friend said "Well, uh, she has nice skin." OW

A fat kid started calling me fat, then so did everyone else. The truth is, I wasn't half the size of HER.

So, here I am at 63, still thinking I'm ugly and fat. Okay. NOW I am, but when I see photos of me at 20, 30, 40, I was HOT, but had no idea.

ShadowRun300 said...

I was 9 when I knocked my front tooth out after flying face first off my bicycle. Then at 10 I chipped both teeth in a marble rolling accident. At 9, I didn't care. At 10, I was mortified and would not open my mouth at school the next day.
I still shy away from mirrors. They can put me in a really bad mood, so best not to look too closely....
Your reflection sketch, on the other hand,is absolutely beautiful!

Jimmy said...

Worse one I can think of was day before picture day 10th grade, I got myself into a swarm of bees and faked out all but one, stung me right on top of my right ear, it swelled up as big as my head, it is obvious in the picture.

Now days I don't worry about my looks too much until I look into the mirror and see an old guy standing where I should be Ha Ha I really don't worry about that either.

Very nice sketch I do like that one a lot.

CiCi said...

Very sweet drawing, showing a gentle man with his baby. Really nice.

LL Cool Joe said...

I've always hated my reflection. What a lovely drawing. :)

terri said...

I like your mirror!

I had one of those "don't want to look in the mirror" days yesterday. WHY do we care so much about our appearance? I swear, I look at other people and almost always think they look just great. Then I wonder if, like me, they stand in front of the mirror in the morning, hopelessly trying to get their hair to look just so, or agonizing over how obvious that one mole looks....

Joyeeta Neogi said...

Beautiful illustration I saw today! Great concept!

M J Muir said...

Lovely drawing! Your reflections are thoughtful. And thanks for liking my pumpkins. I am so glad I came by your interesting blog.

chelle hanna said...

love has a way of making us all look beautiful. what a tender drawing, full of sweetness and care.