Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Silver Lining Saturday, part XL

<--- Makeshift memorial on Ulysses' porch, it's at least 4 times this big now...

XL = 40. It also equals Extra Large. Is this an XL Silver Lining Saturday? In some ways, yes.

It's been a dark week, but maybe the darker the week, the more shiny the silver lining.

Ulysses' death and the manner in which he died was a shock to everyone in the neighborhood and school. The whole community has really come together, though, to support the school kids and each other.

I'm thankful for the genuine caring of the school staff and district and how they really rallied to help the kids cope with the situation. Meego's class got a little extra attention since it was Ulysses' class. I know that many of the teachers are torn up over it themselves, but they've really put the needs of the kids first.

Last week, I was questioning my decision to stay on another year with the PTO board. Now I'm glad I decided to stay. Now I remember why I joined in the first place.

It's scary and confusing as well as sad to all of us. As a result, I noticed a little more patience with each other among Chaco, Wolfgang, and Meego. A little more cooperation, a little more sensitivity. A little more appreciation for family.

This week, I was reminded that I am human. It's not always easy, but it's all part of the web of joy and pain that comes with it. I'm thankful for my life.

And while I wish he were still here, I'm thankful that Ulysses was my friend, if for just a short time.

And, as always, I'm thankful for my blog friends. You guys are the best!
.

4 comments:

Whimsical Ranter said...

****Hugs*****

I am so very sorry. Big huge hugs for the whole community.

agg79 said...

As long as you keep Ulysses in your hearts, he will never be forgotten. Our prayers go out to his family and yours and all of his dear friends.

terri said...

You've had a tough week filled with big life lessons. I'm so glad you're able to see the silver lining through all the hurt and sadness. *Hugs*

brandy101 said...

You are a blessing to your PTO and the school community :)

I hope the kids are doing ok.