Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

sleeping beauty

The Good:  We may have turned a corner.  I saw the first robin of spring yesterday!
The Not-So-Good:  It was laying on the backdoor mat as the cat was dismembering its lifeless body.
The But-Still-Okay:  Spring!  And the cat was fed...


The Good:  My throbbing tooth feels much better.
The Not-So-Good:  It's not fixed yet
The But-Still-Okay:  I've learned so many new words, like endodontist and apicoectomy.


The Good:  Magnum made it back from his business trip with only slight delays from last week's blizzard
The Not-So-Good:  He brought a raging cold virus back with him
The But-Still-Okay:  He can work from home, limiting his cootie-spreading to immediate family rather than to coworkers.  Not quite sure if that belongs in this category.


The Good:  Meego is home on spring break
The Not-So-Good:  No special plans for spring break other than exposure to Magnum's cooties.
The But-Still-Okay:  Meego is home on spring break


So that's my status update for now.

We have a futon, not a couch.  It sits on a foldable wooden frame so as to have two positions - flat or angled like a couch.  I understand that traditional futons are only flat.  But at least our futon mattress is of the traditional kind - not an extra puffy Americanized version.

I mention it here because I've been sleeping on it this week since viral Magnum currently makes sleeping noises like what I imagine Chewbacca sounds like when he sleeps.

And I find the futon SO comfy.  Honestly, I want to replace our bed and all it's related equipment with a traditional futon.  Plus, I just like the look of them as they appeal to my minimalist tendencies.




When I was in college, one of my roommates was from Japan, and she had a traditional futon for her bed.  At the time, I thought it looked incomplete, but a lot of college apartment bedrooms are pretty sparse and slapped together anyway, so I didn't think much of it.

The reality was, however, that she was actually quite rich.  Like super rich.  Like super duper rich.  The sparseness of her bedding was not the result of a cost issue. Maybe she chose me as her roommate to get an authentic feel for starving American college student?

But now I understand why, even though she could have easily afforded a more elaborate bed, she chose the simple futon.  And here I thought I was the one teaching her so much, like the difference between "condominium" and "condom".  And no, Rocky Mountain trout and Rocky Mountain oysters are not related foods.

If/ when we move, we're not moving our current bed set. We'll replace it with a traditional futon. Magnum is not yet aware of this, and I'm declaring it here, so he should get working on his getting-up-off-the-floor.

Because blogging it makes it true.




7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Is that a photo of your room? It is gorgeous. We had a futons and to be honest mine was not comfortable. However ours was cheap. I hope you don't get the cold. I hope you have lots of $$ for the tooth!
sandie

Abby said...

Chatty, I wish that was my current room. It "will" be my future room. Blogging (commenting) makes it so. Insurance helps a bit with the tooth.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh my goodness this made me laugh.
Chewbacca I so understand.
The futon, not so much. It's really comfortable huh? I can't see that.
Must be my American way.
Hey Marie Kondo is wealthy and she lives like a pauper from an American viewpoint.
That should teach us something.

Abby said...

Peg, Marie Kondo was my roommate in college - KIDDING!
It's hard to describe what I find so comfortable about the futon. It just is. Sparks my joy.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I like the futon approach for your next room!
I have a Rocky Mountain Oyster story from a youth trip I took so long ago. It's pretty funny. I'm glad you taught her the difference.

Abby said...

Morgan, well now I want to hear your Rocky Mountain Oyster story!

ShadowRun300 said...

Ha! Cute post. Sorry that I got a laugh out of some of your not-so-good updates. :)
I just mentioned to my hubby that perhaps we need a new mattress. I think ours is causing my back to ache. (Because it CAN’T be old age.). Maybe a futon is the way to go. I love the look!